Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, idk if anyone can really answer this question but i wanted to ask before i spend a couple grand and then figure out my trany can't handle it. I wanted to see if i could get my 05 G6 GT to around 300hp, ideally 300 or higher, if i could, idk what other guys have their's running at, but i was wondering if my trany could take that stock? ik there is rebuild kits on ebay, but idk, will these help? and i really don't want to do all that work for a 300hp car :/. I was talking with friends and they guessed that the G6 trany would only take prob around 250 ish, was their guess and that can be surpassed with a CAI, a WAMS tune, LX9 OBX headers, catback exhaust, 8.2mm ignition cables and grounding kit (my plans for upgrades) if my math is right, not quite 300hp yet but I'm positive over 250 lol. So if anybody knows anything that may help please let me know!! I would really appreciate it.:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
tranny is rated for 200hp from the factory.. our cars put down 205-210hp from the factory.. clearly there is some wiggle room, however.. I can't imagine theres much

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I hear ya, I talked to my dad who is an automotive engineer. He said that engineers usually plan with a 40% safety net basically it should handle 40% more hp than stock. But that means like 330hp and idk that would be awesome and makes sense due to almost every other car can take more and also GM went through to make this car more sporty and be able to handle nicely. But idk aha thanks for your input and we will find out. If my trany let's go I'll let everyone know ;) so no one else makes the same mistake aha

·
Registered
453 Posts
The 2008+ 3.5 V6 was detuned with 5 less horsepower because it exceeded the tranny's rating by an excessive amount. A heavier duty tranny was used in the GT trim I think.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah I hear ya, I talked to my dad who is an automotive engineer. He said that engineers usually plan with a 40% safety net basically it should handle 40% more hp than stock. But that means like 330hp and idk that would be awesome and makes sense due to almost every other car can take more and also GM went through to make this car more sporty and be able to handle nicely. But idk aha thanks for your input and we will find out. If my trany let's go I'll let everyone know ;) so no one else makes the same mistake aha
not to be a prick.. but 40% added to the tranny rating puts it at 280 ft-lbs..

this would put it around 290 horse at 5500 rpms about 40 horse short of your thoughts.. just an fyi

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not to be a prick.. but 40% added to the tranny rating puts it at 280 ft-lbs..

this would put it around 290 horse at 5500 rpms about 40 horse short of your thoughts.. just an fyi

Your right, I'm just an idiot because I actually meant to put 300 and was typing fast and hit 3 twice I guess but thanks for the catch and yeah 280-290 is more accurate :) and like I said we will see I got my wires on and my cold air almost (ran outa time so only got the front pipe on aha) and my exhaust shall come in soonish, sooo parts will be coming and if anything happens well... That's life aha

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
BOOM!! I dont think our stock tranny can take much more over stock.
Just the few things I have done feels like its pushing it. Or maybe at 180K its just
gotten tired. lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BOOM!! I dont think our stock tranny can take much more over stock.
Just the few things I have done feels like its pushing it. Or maybe at 180K its just
gotten tired. lol

Can I ask what you have done with yours? Because mines at around 192k miles (310k kms). yours is an 05 right?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice, nice, thats pretty sweet! That's what I'm hoping for, just put my intake on and 8.2mm wires (I'll prob add pics to a progression thread soon) and next will be exhaust, then tune. Do you know what or around what hp your pushing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could always just do a complete engine and trans swap...something else is bound to fit with minimal modifications (turbo'd ecotech maybe).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I thought about that, not a bad Idea, but that'll be like 3 grand ish aha, prob just keep this as a daily driver, put on a few mods and buy a dif car for tuning

·
Registered
470 Posts
GM transmissions aren't known for their quality at stock HP numbers. There are some things you can do to lengthen trans life with average bolt on mods. Ultimate heat is what blows transmissions. More HP allows the engine and transmission to spool up faster which generates more heat. The gears themselves can take a bit more than stock HP but it won't last long if you're running 1/4 miles all day. Adding a trans cooler can go a long way, but it merely prolongs the inevitable. Upgrading to stronger internals is the most viable solution. You're on the right track though, it's best to upgrade the driveline first before sinking cash into eking out more HP.

My GT is stock, I have a drop in Amsoil air filter but nothing that adds hp. I run full synthetic engine oil which frees up HP that would have otherwise been lost due to friction.

If you do plan to upgrade your transmission, look into getting a shorter final drive as that can be the equivalent to adding on 20-30hp with excellent response, although if you drive a lot of highway you'll lose some mpg due to the higher sustained highway rpm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool! Thanks for the info! I don't think ima upgrade too much, but I might do the transmission cooler, those aren't too much and if that will allow me to eke out 270 ish then I'll be happy :). I am not running 1/4s all day aha I just wanted a little more from my daily driver and plus as my first car I wanted to learn and have fun. So I'll look into a trany cooler, wanted to get one anyway cause it adds to engine bay dress up :p aha

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you wanna rebuild the tranny you could beef it up a little... Blue clutch plates, replace the plastic accumulator pistons with aluminum ones, take out some of the accumulator piston springs, drill out some of the holes on the separator plate to be larger, change the gear ratio to a better on, throw on a tranny cooler, and put an LSD in it... Would be able to handle more and would be a hell of a lot more fun to drive

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So I checked, is there no upgrade kit for this trany like the 65e? I don't think I want to spend 2400 bucks, nice too know it's possible but this is still a daily driver I just wanted some extra kick aha not to drag it every day :p thx for the info tho!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts