Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi fellow G6ers
In this “HOW-TO” I’ll go through the steps I took to change the engine oil and oil filter for my 2007 G6 GT (3.5L).
I use “Castrol GTX SAE 5W-30, I also use the Purolator “PureONE” (# PL25288) oil filter mainly because in my opinion it has one of the highest flow rates at 99.9 efficiency.(FYI, K&N's flow rate is 99.0)

Tools I used were;
13MM socket with ratchet or a 13MM wrench
Oil filter tool
Oil bucket and funnel

(See first images below)

Removing the engine oil;
Jack up the car and place jack stands under the frame so you don’t get crushed. Some people have ramps so if you do that’s okay too. Slide the oil bucket close to the oil pan plug. Using the 13MM socket and ratchet loosen the oil pan plug, remember, “righty tighty-lefty loosey”. Once the plug is loose, slide the oil bucket under the plug and continue removing oil plug. When the plug is completely removed and the old engine oil is draining I like to take this time to clean and inspect the plug for defects or abnormalities. Give the oil some time to drain out, about five minutes. When the oil has finished draining, replace the plug and clean the area of excess oil (You may want to check a maintenance manual for torque specs).

(See first images below)

Moving on to the filter;
Using an oil filter wrench loosen the filter. Once the filter is loose slide the oil bucket under the area of the filter. When the bucket is in place turn the filter (looking up at the filter turn it counter clock wise) about two or three turns, this will allow the excess oil on top of the filter to drain off. Give this draining about one or two minutes.

(See first images below)

Once the draining has stopped continue to remove the filter. Keep in mind not to be directly under the filter, excess oil can fall in you face so try to do these from an arms reach distance. Remove the filter slowly to avoid getting oil spilled on you. When the filter has been completely removed and the old filter is set aside to finish draining, inspect the area where the filter was removed from being sure it is also free of defects or abnormalities. Check the new filter to insure it has the sealing ring and wet this ring with some of the fresh oil. A little dap on you finger will work. Spin the new filter on until it seats firmly. An extra ¼ turn is recommended.
Remove all tools and other items from under the car. Remove the jack stands and lower the car flat on the ground.

Adding fresh oil;
When your G6 is level remove the dip-stick, wipe it clean and place in back into the oil reservoir. Remove the oil cap and place a long shafted funnel into the opening of the engine (the hole where the oil cap was). I say a long shafted funnel because if you look inside of the crankcase you will see a ring inside that will keep the funnel from shifting around while pouring the oil. Once the funnel is in place carefully pour the oil into the engine (see the owners manual for the correct fluid amounts) Check your engines reservoir to be sure you have the correct amount of oil in the engine. When done remove all tools and debris from the engine area replace the oil cap, dipstick then start your engine and allow it to idle. Once the engine has reached normal operating temperature shut it off and check the oil reservoir for proper level and check under the car (oil pan plug and filter) for oil leaks.

Old oil disposal;
I would say you’re done, of course after clean and storing you tools and properly disposing of the old engine oil.
Side note; I use a separate funnel and pour the old oil into the newly emptied oil container and return it and the old filter to my local parts shop for proper oil disposal.

Have a beer!
I hope this has been helpful and if you have any questions about this write-up please contact me VIA private message (PM).

EDIT; If any of you see something wrong with this write up please say so! I'm only trying to be helpful!
One more thing, don't be shy about writing something up, help is available and the more "how-tos" this site has the better help it can be to it's members!
Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
638 Posts
dont know if it matters or not but i had always been taught to fill the new oil filter with oil before installing it, which i didnt see you mention in the write up. does it make a difference in doing it or not doing it or is it just personal prefference?

·
Registered
555 Posts
dont know if it matters or not but i had always been taught to fill the new oil filter with oil before installing it, which i didnt see you mention in the write up. does it make a difference in doing it or not doing it or is it just personal prefference?
Good Q! I fill the oil filter because if you read the instructions on the oil filter it shows a drop of liquid being poured. My guess is that it means to fill the filter with oil. Depending on how your filter mounts, you can fill it like with the g6 cuz its right side up. Other cars like hondas and kias (that i know of) have like a horizontal filter. With those i always pour enough inside so it can soak up a bit of oil but not enough to make it drip out.

IMO, it really doesnt matter.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It does help to pre-fill the new oil filter with oil first. It takes a couple of seconds or so for the oil pump to fill the new oil filter (if it is empty) and during this time no oil circulates and the engine is starved for lubrication. Just be careful not to overfill it if you do that.

Great write-up. A few more points to add:

When draining the old oil from the engine, it will flow better and faster if you open the oil cap first before you remove the drain plug.

To get an accurate oil level reading, the car must be on level ground and sat for at least 5 minutes after the engine have been shut off, in order to allow all the oil to drain back into the crankcase.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Q! I fill the oil filter because if you read the instructions on the oil filter it shows a drop of liquid being poured. My guess is that it means to fill the filter with oil. Depending on how your filter mounts, you can fill it like with the g6 cuz its right side up. Other cars like hondas and kias (that i know of) have like a horizontal filter. With those i always pour enough inside so it can soak up a bit of oil but not enough to make it drip out.

IMO, it really doesnt matter.
Yes some peeps do this, some of these same peeps start there cars and go without allowing the engine to reach operating temperature too which is way worse than not pre-filling the oil filter. I don’t fill the filter but I do 95% of the time allow my engine to reach operating temp before I drive.

It does help to pre-fill the new oil filter with oil first. It takes a couple of seconds or so for the oil pump to fill the new oil filter (if it is empty) and during this time no oil circulates and the engine is starved for lubrication. Just be careful not to overfill it if you do that.

Great write-up. A few more points to add:

To get an accurate oil level reading, the car must be on level ground and sat for at least 5 minutes after the engine have been shut off, in order to allow all the oil to drain back into the crankcase.

Adding fresh oil;
When your G6 is level remove the dip-stick, wipe it clean and place in back into the oil reservoir.
Thanks guys, it’s quite difficult to write directions, most input is helpful to anyone who reads this.
Yes this write up is how “I” change the engine oil and oil filter in my G6. I’m sure some of you have different ways and feel free to write it up and post it here.:)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I agree with you geewhiz. Let your engine run for at least 5 to 10 minutes after completing the oil exchange.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yes some peeps do this, some of these same peeps start there cars and go without allowing the engine to reach operating temperature too which is way worse than not pre-filling the oil filter. I don’t fill the filter but I do 95% of the time allow my engine to reach operating temp before I drive.

Actually, excessive idling especially when cold is very hard on the engine. In most circumstances, one minute of idling is best. Then drive off slowly and let the complete drivetrain warm up while you drive. Light load, high rpm, rich fuel mixture, all cause accelerated engine wear.

·
Registered
54 Posts
there are two other things you can do while at the filter,for removing oil from filter without getting it al over the place if you're cramped for room,punch a hole in the bottom of the filter with a short screwdriver to let it drain before removal,and
lubricate the gasket of the new filter with clean oil before screwing on the new filter.
Idle your engine with the new oil in it just until you get oil pressure then shut off and check engine oil level.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My G6 GT has been the easiest of my vehicles to change the oil on. Everything is RIGHT THERE as far as access goes.

I will second the remark of adding oil to the filter before installation. Just remember to make sure that it holds about 1/3 quart, so you don't overfill the crankcase afterward.

Another couple mentions: I'm used to changing oil on HD diesel engines, with multiple filters, a 6' long dipstick and a crankcase capacity of 40 or more quarts. With that in mind, I remove the dipstick, wipe it clean with a rag, then again with a lint free cloth, and set it atop the engine or somewhere where it won't get dirty. This way, when you fill the crankcase with a few quarts of oil, wait a couple of minutes and then reinsert the dipstick. This will give you a more accurate reading. When you see the level, remove it and add more oil as necessary until it's half way between the add and full/max marks on the dipstick.

Perhaps I'm just a neat-freak-geek here, but I have a lot of spare oil hanging around my garage, as I used to sell it in my old garage! Anyway, before reinstalling the oil pan drain bolt, I'll pour down a few ounces of whatever oil I plan to use (generally Amsoil synthetic). Once that oil evacuates the pan I'll reinstall the bolt. Obviously, it's a crude method to get some more contaminated oil out of the system, but without the engine running it won't have a full effect. Nonetheless, as long as it pours out looking like new oil, I'm satisfied enough to install the drain bolt and pour in the new oil.

Due to poor dealer service over the last couple years (long stories), I've been doing most of the maintenance on my own. I could take it to another shop, but I'm not. I changed the oil (0W30) to Amsoil full synthetic (25K change interval) and plan to run it for a full year. As I only drive 10-12K/yr it shouldn't be a problem, especially considering my last oil change (according to my on board computer) would have lasted me 8K on whatever GM throws in there.

As for punching a hole in the oil filter to drain it, I could never punch an accurate enough hole for the oil to come out and drain STRAIGHT down, but rather squirts any which way it can depending on the angle my screw driver decided to enter the filter. After doing that a couple times, I just found it easier to wear a shop glove to remove the filter, so you get nothing, to minimal amount of old (possibly hot) oil on your hand.

·
Lead Foot
67 Posts
I have yet to change the oil in my g6 3.5l but its about that time.

About how many quarts of oil does the 3.5L require? I'm thinking about putting synthetic in (either royal purple or GTX), any thoughts on the matter? I bought a k&n filter for it which I already like because it has a nut welded to the bottom of it for a socket or wrench instead of a filter wrench.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have yet to change the oil in my g6 3.5l but its about that time.

About how many quarts of oil does the 3.5L require? I'm thinking about putting synthetic in (either royal purple or GTX), any thoughts on the matter? I bought a k&n filter for it which I already like because it has a nut welded to the bottom of it for a socket or wrench instead of a filter wrench.
Mine took four quarts for the 3.5L V6. I like to keep the oil between the 'add' and 'full' mark on the dipstick. I could've added another 1/3 quart safely, but why buy another quart just to top off if I don't need it!

I recommend synthetics. Better winter starting, longer rated lifespan, reduces friction to aid in HP gains and possibly fuel economy gains.

4 quarts Amsoil 0W30 - $44.60
1 EAO29 Oil filter - $17.35
TOTAL $61.95 for the YEAR or 40K kms; and I do the labour

Savings Calculator:
4 quarts Quaker State 5W30 - $23.56
1 Purolator Filter - $9.85
Total - $33.41 x 3 oil changes a year = $100.23
Total - $33.41 x 4 oil changes a year = $133.64

Savings in one year - $38.28 - $71.69

If you go with Royal Purple, do NOT use any oil that says "Racing" on it, as it doesn't have the minerals required for daily drivers, and several engines have failed due to this in minimal miles (several reports of this on various truck forums that I subscribe too). RP knows about the issue, but they can't stop people from willfully buying whatever oil they want to use of course. Otherwise it's a great oil!

·
Registered
470 Posts
I liked it just fine! I had three beers after my oil change, lol. Still wasn't enough to get a buzz.

·
05 G6
101 Posts
Filter not for 05 g6 gt.......

·
05 G6
101 Posts
Used the pureONE pl25288 oil filter yesterday.nope didn't fit the 05 g6 gt...so had to go buy another lol....

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Used the pureONE pl25288 oil filter yesterday.nope didn't fit the 05 g6 gt...so had to go buy another lol....
Hm? My photo shows a different number, "PL14670". But I searched (on line)the auto part store several times and got the same number "PL25288". I'll have to look and see myself. If its not then I think I need to call someone to have them check thee part numbers too.:confused:

Tony, do you have the number of the filter you used?

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/pages/ApplicationGuideResults.aspx?mid=86&modid=2042&yid=36&make=PONTIAC&model=G6&year=2007

·
05 G6
101 Posts
Checked its the pl10111 fits o5 gt

·
G6 owner
27 Posts
drain plug torque should be 18 ftlbs, and i always thought filling the filter pertained to turbo engines.. and the image of the oil can was lubricating the gasket?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts