Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 g6 gtp and I want to completely replace the transmission. I'm usually a visual learner and I cant find any videos online on how to neather can I find a good step by step description on how to replace the transmission. Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I got my wife's G6 needing a trans. I had much help(actually I helped do it).ANY motor/trans removal is not an EASY task(as with many other makes). The small shop that I got the car from(professional friendship),we lowered out the complete subframe and drivetrain out and then split off the trans.BUT we had full shop equipment (lift, "jig" stands and such) It would take writing as small book to give you "step by step" of the process we used

·
2007 gt retractable
355 Posts
in my opinion unless you have a fairly new replacement sitting there you would be better off having someone rebuild it with a warranty.what if you go to all the trouble of changing it and then the new trans breaks in two months?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So basicly my transmission is loud. I can hear it over my brand new sound system. It revs kinda high when I accelerate from a stop 2500-3000 or so. Should I do a full replacement or change the solenoids? And is this also a low fluid level?

·
Registered
342 Posts
We can't diagnose your ride thru the "net", but yes it could be one or all of the things you post of. Is the CEL illuminated on the dash cluster? If so get it to an auto parts store like Autozone that will scan the computer for trouble codes. That will give you a more accurate way to start figuring out what is going on.
Also are you sure you don't have a bad front axle bearing for noise?
EDIT: You say a GTP model...is this an AUTOMATIC or STANDARD trans????

·
2007 gt retractable
355 Posts
in my opinion unless you have a fairly new replacement sitting there you would be better off having someone rebuild it with a warrenty.what if you go to all the trouble of changing it and then the new trans breaks in two months?
So basicly my transmission is loud. I can hear it over my brand new sound system. It revs kinda high when I accelerate from a stop 2500-3000 or so. Should I do a full replacement or change the solenoids? And is this also a low fluid level?
low fluid level will cause it to slip during acceleration.check the level if you haven't already.

·
Registered
pontiac g6 GT RETRACTABLE TOP
8 Posts
Trannies are the worst, yes. i just bOUGHT A NEW TRANNY at aamco. $3100 bucks! i really have buyers remorse. I feel i shouldve just kept driving it til it dropped because it still drove well except it was slow slippage, instead of letting the shop tell me my scan codes indicate new tranny needed. Too late now. theyre nice at aamco and very professional with best warranty in business, so even tho im broke now (lol), my G6 retractable top gt should be good for another 35,000 miles i pray. Just my 2cents for yas....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Trannies are the worst, yes. i just bOUGHT A NEW TRANNY at aamco. $3100 bucks! i really have buyers remorse. I feel i shouldve just kept driving it til it dropped because it still drove well except it was slow slippage, instead of letting the shop tell me my scan codes indicate new tranny needed. Too late now. theyre nice at aamco and very professional with best warranty in business, so even tho im broke now (lol), my G6 retractable top gt should be good for another 35,000 miles i pray. Just my 2cents for yas....
How's the tranny doing now? Also if you don't mind me asking... almost scared too. Is stuttering, shuttering under light acceleration and hard shifts anytime I get near 3k rpm a symptom of this? Recently it's been doing that stutter even in park or sitting still at a light and the car only has 58k miles and the fluid is full

1 - 8 of 8 Posts