Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well my Strut mounts have been creaking like a mofo lately so I was changing them and decided show people how to do it, since it will help with changing mounts, struts or installing lowering springs.

First jack up car, put on jack stands, remove front wheel.

Remove caliper and rotor, I used an extra jack stand to set the caliper on

Giving the top strut nut an initial loosen here makes it easier to remove later.

Unplug ans remove ABS plug

Disconnect and remove endlink

Here is what youll have left

Remove this bracket

Mark the head of these bolts, They have to go back in EXACTLY how they came out.

Thread the nuts back on so they are flush with the end of the bolt, the use (my favorite tool) your BFH and knock them out.

Now loosen the top three mounting nuts and remove strut

To reinstall do it all in reverse and torque down to specs.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
how do you remove the end link? mine just keeps spinning without coming off.
I used thin vice grip pliers and clamped the back side of the endlink just behind the tab, then I was able to zip the nut off with an impact. Same thing for tightening them down.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I used vice grips too, but be careful you don't tear the boots if you use a vice grip to hold it... Get some endlinks with hex's on both sides so theyre easier to take of next time

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Yea. There is a hex on the end if the bolt for the endlink. But you can't get a wrench to turn in there anyways. A socket is like the only option, along with vice grips.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the write up! I managed to sneak mine out without removing the brakes but that endlink sucked. Needs more room for the wrench :p

·
Registered
52 Posts
Front Struts 2007 GT

Thanks for the info. Great write up it answers all my question about replacing the front struts. I should be doing mine soon. Thanks again Jeff :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone ever tried replacing the rear sway bar end links? I had to use a torch to get the old ones off, but the new ones just will not fit. GM made it almost impossible to replace them without using expensive air or hydro tools. PLEASE help me out. Been stuck for a few days now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is what I encountered. The one side has a steel bearing which you slide a bolt through, and secure with a nut, easy enough. The other side is a rubber bushing. Doesn't want to fit on with everything I have. Tried using leverage from a wrench, grease, hammer.. I'm starting to wonder if the person prior to me replaced the sway bar but with the wrong size? The only way I could remove the old link was by using a torch to loosen the rubber bushing and rip it off.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts