Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my headlights apart to do some modifications using the heatgun suggestion which worked well. Once you get it started it seems to pry apart fairly easily.

I don't like the idea of leaving the old sealant behind and then re-heating it to put the lens back on. It just seems like a perfect set-up for leaks down the road.

I picked up some Krud Kutter Ultra Power Specialty Adhesive Remover for about $5 at Home Depot..

Using a paper towel, I was able to clean most of the gunk off the clear plastic lens. Be careful though, these solvents can and will dull plastic on contact.

Then I dripped some all along the channel on the black housing and let it sit for about 10 min. The sealant becomes extremely soft and fairly easy to scrape out with a combination of flathead screwdriver, utility knife, and gentle finger pulling.

Just wanted to share as some people seem to leave and re-use the sealant and others (like me) want to remove as much of it as possible.

I've attached a photo of the solvent and also what the sealant looks like when removed.

Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I'm gonna have to buy that crud cutter. Bet it works wonders on vinyl adhesive. Does it leave the surface clean and dry? Or do you do a final wipe with alcohol or something?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just let it dry and evaporate. I guess you could do a final wipe with alcohol if you wanted though. It's great stuff; seems like it removes just about everything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm planning on using 3M Window Weld.

It comes in either a caulk gun tube, or in ribbon form. The ribbon needs to be heated. I think the caulk style might be easier to use.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts