Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have a question about the audio system in my new 2009 G6 Sedan.

I have the standard system (not monsoon), and the sound quality is horrendous. I took it to the dealer under 3yr/36k miles warranty, and they replaced some speakers which helped, but it is still really bad. I have to crank the treble to the max, and voices still sound muffled. The background music (mids?) are very dull, and the bass is overpowering most of the time (and distorted).

I'm assuming that they just replaced my speakers with more refurbished ones, so I can't rule them out yet.

How can I tell if my bad audio is from the speakers, or from the head unit? (Without voiding my warranty if possible)

NOTE:The bad audio described above happens across all inputs (AUX/FM/XM/CD)

I don't want to spend $300 on speakers, and find out my head unit is bad and that I should have got it replaced under warranty!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would start by pulling the head unit out of the car. In the process look at the wiring to see if something is shorted out- like a screw went thru the wires or they were pinched between metal.

I would then look at the actual plug connection point. Make sure no pins are bent, broken. Look at the female plug to insure the grips are tight enough. Dielectric grease the connection when reassembling.

If you still have issues after that chances are high the head unit is faulty. Considering the speakers have been replaced, there are no shorts then its the only thing left.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts