Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my buddies asked me the other day what kind of horse power I was pushing... And I have no idea.. nor do I have a dyno to find out.. I have the 3.5l V6 engine (2006) and have added Crabs o3, a custom magnaflow exhaust system, and 91 octane WAMS tune. If someone could give me a rough estimate that would be very helpful!

·
Registered
25 Posts
2006 comes with 200HP. Add approx. 5HP for CRABS, 5-10HP for Magnaflow, and approximately 12HP for the Tune. You're around 20-30 extra HP gain, so around 220-230HP

*DISCLAIMER* These are all based off of estimates given by the companies themselves*

·
Registered
25 Posts
By the way....how do you like your tune? I'm considering getting one, but I'm hesitant on the gas consumption and how the engine would idle.

Also, does it sound different after the tune? People always say cars sound nice and "tuned" so I want to know if it would sound different afterwards.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way....how do you like your tune? I'm considering getting one, but I'm hesitant on the gas consumption and how the engine would idle.

Also, does it sound different after the tune? People always say cars sound nice and "tuned" so I want to know if it would sound different afterwards.
I figured it was somewhere around there. Thanks!
And I love my tune! I went with a 91 octane tune, and it is wonderful. My idle is a little slower, which I am ok with. (Around 50-100rpms). The sound, I haven't noticed much of a huge difference, but it sounds smoother, if that makes sense. The shifting point change, and the better gas mileage (when foot stays off the throttle) is the most noticeable change. It is one of my favorite mods thus far.

·
Registered
88 Posts
make a vid of your car on the road, im thinking of getting the tune on the gxp ..how much did it cost you?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
190 Posts
You'd be no where near 200whp on a dyno. The HP ratings that the factory gives is at the motor, not the wheels. Also too, you can just add up numbers for every mod you do. That's called ricer math. Sure, you might see 5 HP from a CAI and 10 HP from a tune, but that doesn't automatically add 15 HP to the motor. Because of the tune, you might not see 5 more HP from the CAI, or, you might see more. The only way to tell is get the car on the dyno.

An remember, your WHP is always going to be lower than BHP due to power loss in the other moving parts (trans, axle, wheel size or weight, gear size, ect.).

So tell your buddies that you don't know what the car is "pushing", and if they want to know that bad, pitch in for a dyno run.

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
From a decent amount of experience with others in the Grand Prix community, and very limited experience in the G6 community, the dyno readings will be approximately 18% less than crank, so if you are able to get to a dyno you can use that to calculate back up to approximate "advertised" hp :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.. I'll see if they'll chip in for a dyno, but I doubt it...

·
Registered
190 Posts
From a decent amount of experience with others in the Grand Prix community, and very limited experience in the G6 community, the dyno readings will be approximately 18% less than crank, so if you are able to get to a dyno you can use that to calculate back up to approximate "advertised" hp :)
18% give or take is about the norm I've seen too in the f bodies and GTOs with autos.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
My guess is 205 to the wheels...or 235 at the crank. Was your 06 a GT?
If so it has the lower gears...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My guess is 205 to the wheels...or 235 at the crank. Was your 06 a GT?
If so it has the lower gears...
Ya, GT trim on my 06.
Thanks Lampoon.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd expect close to 185-190p on the dyno with your mods.

I still find the 3.29 final lacking on my 06 GT, although it gets decent mileage and cruises around 1900rpm at 65mph. I think the standard fare V6 has a 2.93 final/axle.

If the tune was done correctly you should see a solid 20HP from all three mods. I know when I had my Durango in at the dyno, I threw on a CAI, 52mm TB, uprated coil and Taylor wires with a custom SCT tune to try to make evening work in harmony without giving me engine knock (no knock sensors on the 5.9 V8...) and I was able to gain a mere 31hp from all that with a baseline of 250 at the crank. If you took the manufacturers claims for each mod, it's about 60hp. So I believe when you get everything working together, expect about half of the estimated manufacturers output. I had to drive 3 hours one way to the closest AWD dyno.

I've since added on to the Durango, and believe the best mod for the price is switching over to full synthetic oils as it will free up HP that is otherwise lost to friction. I know it's hard to compare an AWD 'truck' to a FWD care here, but all I've done to my G6 is switch to Amsoil. This way my whole fleet gets one oil change a year, all on the same weekend! I must commend GM on the excellent design for us folks who change their own oil. So far, the GM 3.5L is one of the best engines for ease of accessibility I've ever done an oil change on.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You'd be no where near 200whp on a dyno. The HP ratings that the factory gives is at the motor, not the wheels. Also too, you can just add up numbers for every mod you do. That's called ricer math. Sure, you might see 5 HP from a CAI and 10 HP from a tune, but that doesn't automatically add 15 HP to the motor. Because of the tune, you might not see 5 more HP from the CAI, or, you might see more. The only way to tell is get the car on the dyno.

An remember, your WHP is always going to be lower than BHP due to power loss in the other moving parts (trans, axle, wheel size or weight, gear size, ect.).

So tell your buddies that you don't know what the car is "pushing", and if they want to know that bad, pitch in for a dyno run.
I don't think anyone said he was pushing 200+ WHP.

Based on all 3 mods he's done, I'd say he's looking at around 14-17HP gain.

Liberally, 20HP.

·
Registered
346 Posts
You got a Mustang...?? Sweet. ;)
I've been missing her for about a week now. She's at Bassani's headquarters test fitting their new high-flow cats, exhaust and header set up.

Hopefully I will get reunited with her soon and enjoy my new horsepower. :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't think anyone said he was pushing 200+ WHP.

Based on all 3 mods he's done, I'd say he's looking at around 14-17HP gain.

Liberally, 20HP.
The point of my first response was that one cannot just add up numbers that manufactures throw out there because that would be called ricer math. Two exact same cars with the exact same mods can dyno with very different numbers. I've seen it happen first hand numerous times with GM's LS series motors. Hell, a base V6 will dyno higher than a GT (06' MY) due to the GT having the taller gear, all due to how the dyno calculates HP numbers. That doesn't mean the Base V6 is faster. Dyno numbers are great for tuning and dick measuring, but 1/4 mile times are the only true test of performance.

I was just trying to correct bad reasoning and educate the OP a bit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The point of my first response was that one cannot just add up numbers that manufactures throw out there because that would be called ricer math. Two exact same cars with the exact same mods can dyno with very different numbers. I've seen it happen first hand numerous times with GM's LS series motors. Hell, a base V6 will dyno higher than a GT (06' MY) due to the GT having the taller gear, all due to how the dyno calculates HP numbers. That doesn't mean the Base V6 is faster. Dyno numbers are great for tuning and dick measuring, but 1/4 mile times are the only true test of performance.

I was just trying to correct bad reasoning and educate the OP a bit.
Even quarter mile times have to be taken with a grain of salt. Performance an especially hight performance are different to everyone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts