Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HSRK installed...what i did..before & after results

So i have been running a HSRK on the g8 for awhile and i did a few tests with before & after logs and liked seeing the lower intake temps. Which in return kept the car from retarding so much timing when the car thought the intake temps got hot when they really werent.

So below you see where/how i installed the HSRK on my wifes g6 to take advantage of getting a more accurate reading for intake temp.

Tools I used is a step bit & 10mm socket.

Rubber grommet installed for IAT sensor

IAT sensor installed

Actual inlet on the stock intake

Finished install

**NOW for results**
ALL tests were done on the same day with 80-81 degree temp outside.
These tables can be found in the HPtuner. Note i did not modify any tables these are stock tables.

This is where the PCM is told to retard timing after IAT get to a certain temp.

Intake temps without the HSRK on the interstate (See the Knock retard it was mysteriously getting)

Intake temps with the HSRK going down the interstate. (Look no knock retard i still not sure what the deal was behind that yet)

Intake temps without the HSRK in town driving.

Intake temps with the HSRK installed

Seems with the HSRK even at interstate speeds im cruising at higher degree's of timing than i am without.

In my opinion its a great cheap modification that will help quite a few of you guys that are in the hotter weather in the south.

For any information you guys want on these shoot me a PM.

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
So you actually saw lower intake temps? I was looking into this but heard the PCM doesn't react fast enough to be effective. My intake temps even at the lowest is always a couple degrees above ambient temp

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Results may be different too because I have a different PCM since mine is the 4 Banger, I've been interested but couldn't justify spending that money.

·
4,052 Posts
Ive been pretty interested too. Since I live in the desert and its hot as hell, i notice a drop in performance once the intake temp is over 125 but it really drives like shit if its over 145 which happens constantly in summer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive been pretty interested too. Since I live in the desert and its hot as hell, i notice a drop in performance once the intake temp is over 125 but it really drives like shit if its over 145 which happens constantly in summer.
I will try to get the test done sunday way it looks its suppose to nice and not raining then. I have a HP tuner so i will show the Coolant temp to IAT to get a good accurate log for you guys.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
I tried it. Put the system into burst mode and retarded everything.
It was nothing but bad in my case. It worked so well the ECM couldnt keep up.

Fail....

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
He's talking about a ton of burst knock. Guy on G6P just took his off and gained 3MPG LOL This is also while I was running that place we stopped selling them for G6's and then they started again LOL

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
He's talking about a ton of burst knock. Guy on G6P just took his off and gained 3MPG LOL This is also while I was running that place we stopped selling them for G6's and then they started again LOL

Any idea on 2.4 success?

Though maybe I'll just have to buy it and try it.

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
Any idea on 2.4 success?

Though maybe I'll just have to buy it and try it.
Was across the platform, Mike Kutchey and I originally developed it for the TBSS and then used it on the G8 but those were the only two platforms we intended it for.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He removed the HSRK and gained 3MPG? Thats odd. What were he scans like? Every car does act differently to changes. I would be surprised if the MPG with the logs i did and increased in cruise timing i would think the MPG would actually go up in my situation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts