Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
LIVESTRONG
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: I'm working on a intake system right now for my 06 GTP. I'm a little confused by the MAF sensor. I've always heard it's best to have 6" of straight pipe between your filter and sensor for it to work at it's best. Is there any credit to this at all? I had a incident happen today that made me question if the MAF on here reads it the best that way.

After going on what seemed like a quest into Mordor to find piping that agreed with the MAF sensor I was able to get a straight tube tighten up the clamps and head my 32 mile drive back home, I did not unplug the battery and let it sit like I have on previous CAI projects. because I was simply in a hurry. The entire drive home the car seemed very sluggish and not no pickup at all. Even while on cruise control it seemed the RPMS would jump a few hundred at times.

I got to a empty mall parking lot checked everything for loose clamps or vac. leaks, being in a bigger hurry now after 11pm I simply reattched my filter to the MAF sensor to get me home. Not 10 Minutes later the car is running alot better much like I was hoping it was going too after adding the intake. I went WOT once i got on my road and it was a noticeable 'seat-o-pants' pickup from a dead stop along with a amazing intake sound. It puzzles me why it performed the best being so close to the filter.

Long story short... Do I need to invest in a aftermarket MAF?
whats the best placement of the sensor for a good airflow read?
I plan on using a Crabs heatshield, and seeing about running a flex tube intake into the filter fed from the bottom of the grill.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I'm not sure if you have the V6 or the 4 Cyl, I have the 4 cyl...

It's been my experience that the Length of the piping makes no difference on the MAF.
However the diameter of the pipe where the MAF is located may play a big role.

I installed a 3" intake, The stock was 2.5" for my car, When I put the 3" intake on the car ran, but had a CEL showing it was running too lean. I fixed it by making an insert to decrease the inside diameter where the MAF is to 2.5" Worked like a charm no more light.

I ended up getting a tune for it to solve the problem. removed the insert I made, and the car runs great now that the computer is tuned to read the extra airflow through the sensor.

I'm fairly certain the stock ECU maps work with the MAF by calculating airflow through that sensor in a 2.5" tube, Add 1/2" and you get a bunch of extra air flowing in that the sensor isn't even accounting for. Therefore it can't compensate and the car will run lean.

I've seen a few people with the V6 leave it all stock up until the filter box, They pulled out the stock air cleaner and box and added just a cone filter with a heat shield, The stock MAF housing still in place.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ahhh... MAFs are over-rated. Go speed density tune!!!

But seriously, keeping the mesh screen on the MAF to help straighten the air flow is more important than the actual location. Now, I'm not saying put it right off the filter, but a few inches up or down won't be the end of the world.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
I ran a cone straight off the MAF for about a year before I piped off the MAF into the front bumper to get the filter away from the heat of the engine. Regardless of set up I have not experienced and performance issues with my GTP.

·
LIVESTRONG
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know, a tune is what im looking into now trying to do my research
Before committing to anything. Right now im looking for a headlight
And a panel a deer interrupted my mods :(

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Get a WAMS tune, developed for the G6 and I've heard nothing but good things. I have it and frankly I LOVE it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts