Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The steering in my G6 GT is mangled. So mangled that I had to take a huge hit and upgrade to the GTP with the hydrolic steering, it cost me over $17k.

My steering has locked up on me a few times, and once during a left hand turn through an intersection and once on the highway which almost killed me, just to name a few.

I have recently, today, with my friend figured out how to reproduce this steering failure on demand.

This is what you have to do:

- Warm the car up for 20 min.
- Turn your wheel all the way left, then all the way right, then back left. Keep doing this until... tada! Your power steering will fail.
- Sometimes it takes me up to 20 times for it to fail, sometimes 3 or 4.

Please, everyone with a G6. Try this and get back to me with what happens!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
i'll check it out in the a.m. and get back to ya. got to drop off the car at the dealership in the morning to have them check it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
sorry, but i couldn't get mine to do it. BUT, read on....

this evening, after my trip in to see Mr Goodwrench, i got this 'bright idea' to try something myself. now i warn you; "KIDS, don't do this at home!!!" ha ha

first i found a lightly travelled straight country road. took my G6 GT up to about 40mph, put it in NEUTRAL and SHUT OFF THE IGNITION!!! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

but seriously, having done that......VOILA, "STEERING LOCK"!!!! well, sort of.

new theory. remember, i have experienced this myself, so i'm not guessing as to what it feels like. in MY case, the steering wheel "lock" only lasted about 2-3 seconds, hardly enough time for your brain to fully comprehend the situation, think about diagnostics and what to try, etc.... as soon as mine "locked up" and i tried to turn right and then turn back to left, then back to right again it then resumed and was 'normal' again.

SO, having said that and experiencing the 'test' that i did this evening i am in agreement that the wheel MAY NOT have actually "locked up" but that the resistance is SO GREAT without the electric assist that your first impression is that it is "locked up". i have driven many cars and trucks without power steering. in the past, trying to turn the wheel in a parked vehicle without power steering was very difficult, however take the same vehicle driving down the road and the wheel was, while still difficult, much easier to turn. the G6 when it 'looses' its power assist while driving apparently has a tendency to be MORE DIFFICULT to turn the wheel than when sitting still. just the opposite of what i would think most people are used to. its almost like the MORE effort you put into attempting to turn the wheel the more the wheel wants to 'fight back'.....hence the feeling of the steering wheel "locking up". i'm going to ask to drive a G6 GTP tomorrow and try the same thing (maybe i had better not tell them what i'm up to, huh?) as i did tonight. if the GTP feels the same with the car shut off while going 40mph, then its just an inherent trait of this car and probably not much can be done about it. but if it DOESN'T ACT THE SAME, then we have an issue with the electric assist steering. sound logical?

i'll get back to ya tomorrow......(unless i crash and burn the GTP, in which case i'm changing my name to Shawn Hume & moving to Canada, IMMEDIATELY!!!!) go ahead, i DARE you to find me!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
That doesnt explain why I can hang my body weight (not kidding..I can pull myself off the seat) on the wheel pulling on one side of the wheel and I am not able to move it.

I didn't have time to try it very long today.. but I remote started the car and went down and tried this. Wasn't able to replicate. I will try tonight without remote start to see if that makes a difference. If I remember correctly the few times it happened I started the car with the key and didnt allow it to warm up.

Even at age 16 (119lbs) I was able to pull the wheel of my 1983 ranger while sitting still without power steering.

When I snapped the belt on my Z28 a couple years ago (3400lb vehicle) I was able to turn the wheel without the power steering while stopped with no major effort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
S8ER99 said:
That doesnt explain why I can hang my body weight (not kidding..I can pull myself off the seat) on the wheel pulling on one side of the wheel and I am not able to move it.

I didn't have time to try it very long today.. but I remote started the car and went down and tried this. Wasn't able to replicate. I will try tonight without remote start to see if that makes a difference. If I remember correctly the few times it happened I started the car with the key and didnt allow it to warm up.

Even at age 16 (119lbs) I was able to pull the wheel of my 1983 ranger while sitting still without power steering.

When I snapped the belt on my Z28 a couple years ago (3400lb vehicle) I was able to turn the wheel without the power steering while stopped with no major effort.

THIS is EXACTLY what i am thinking. drivers have, in the past, had no problem dealing with a vehicle when the power assist steering 'went out'. here is a perfect expample. HOWEVER, when the G6 'Electric Assist' steering is inoperable, the resistance feels like 10 TIMES the resistance of a NON-POWER STEERING vehicle and owners are not expecting that!!!

also, i'm not so sure that 'temperature' has much to do with this issue. the first time it happened to me was during a 3 1/2 hour trip, so the car was warmed up and the outside temp was about 55-60F. the second time the car WAS cold, having been sitting in my driveway all day and the outside temp was about 50F. don't know that there is a pattern here. if it IS an electrical problem, it can probably occur ANYTIME.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
OK, I've never had the problem, but I did try to test it yesterday. I let the car warm up about 15 minutes, coolant temp at 200. Outside temp was about 50F. I kept turning from lock to lock with car in gear. Never locked up but the steering wheel did start to get tight.

The weird thing was, after I gave up, I turned the wheel from lock to lock for about three minutes. I turned off the engine, but could hear some kind of motor still running for about 3 or 4 seconds. Possibly the electric assist? I don't know, but I have never heard it before.

Saying that, I usually have the radio on, and since it doesn't shut off with the ignition, these could be somewhat normal, and the radio could have covered this noise up before, but I don't think so.

Any ideas on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
I always hear a motor running when I get out of my car. Never really paid much attention with all the electronics on this thing. BTW I did test the steering with the car off...DEFINATELY tighter than a non power assisted car (is this really SAFER??) however I was still able to crank the wheel while parked. :( Still trying to figure this thing out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
trevor_s said:
The steering in my G6 GT is mangled. So mangled that I had to take a huge hit and upgrade to the GTP with the hydrolic steering, it cost me over $17k.

My steering has locked up on me a few times, and once during a left hand turn through an intersection and once on the highway which almost killed me, just to name a few.

I have recently, today, with my friend figured out how to reproduce this steering failure on demand.

This is what you have to do:

- Warm the car up for 20 min.
- Turn your wheel all the way left, then all the way right, then back left. Keep doing this until... tada! Your power steering will fail.
- Sometimes it takes me up to 20 times for it to fail, sometimes 3 or 4.

Please, everyone with a G6. Try this and get back to me with what happens!
Are you going slow or fast lock to lock? I was rotating with my palm back and forth and was unable to replicate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
I have a question, in the mornings even after my car has warmed up, when I back out of my driveway and then put the car in drive and turn the steering while I always hear a click noise. What is this? The noise sounds like it's coming from the steering column. Anyone else hear this?

The only other motor I have ever heard running is from the ac/heat. If I turn from defrost to heating or cooling my face, etc.... I can hear I guess the car making the change. Does anyone else hear this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Fusion said:
Somebody should just take their G6 out on a road track and see what happens.
We would wreck due to crappy handling long before the steering locked up. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
I actually think that the G6 GT has great handling. When i bought it i had to drive about 45 minutes back home on a very curvy road and i had never had so much fun in a car in all my life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
Fusion said:
I actually think that the G6 GT has great handling. When i bought it i had to drive about 45 minutes back home on a very curvy road and i had never had so much fun in a car in all my life.
i'm with FUSION on this one.......my last 'car' i owned was a '97 Honda Accord 4dr EX that i really liked. but from that i went to a Dodge Ram 1500 and then a Mitsbishi Montero Sport. maybe since my last two vehicles were of the 'truck' nature, my base-line is off. regardless, i still love my G6. it rides great, handles great (for me) and even with the 'issue' we have been discussing, i still love it.

maybe some of us are just better DRIVERS than others?????? LOL :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
The GT might handle better..Im not sure if there was any suspension changes or not. Trust me I am an extremely agressive driver and have plenty of experience corner carving. In my Z I never had a single complaint (and the stock suspension wasnt the best on those either). This car actually has a lot more body roll than it should and definately doesnt feel stable entering a corner with any amount of speed. Im sure if I was coming from a truck I would be impressed (unless you owned an L before this. :) ) but lauras 99 Grand am handles a LOT better than my G6 and that is pretty bad considering its not even a GT GA. The last few test drives ive had I think the dealer was in shock... Ive made sure to test certain capabilities to ensure Im not going to end up dissapointed.

I am almost certain the GTP guys can not relate here since I believe they got a few upgrades in the handling department.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Naw its alright. Its not like you can assess someone behind the wheel from the internet..and with the number of Michael Andrettis that post online I could be lying my head off. LOL

I may look to purchase the upgraded sway bars and maybe get some poly bushings.. I mean i have to live with this thing for a little while yet (6 grand upside down and counting down..LOL )
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top