Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
525 Posts
That doesnt explain why I can hang my body weight (not kidding..I can pull myself off the seat) on the wheel pulling on one side of the wheel and I am not able to move it.

I didn't have time to try it very long today.. but I remote started the car and went down and tried this. Wasn't able to replicate. I will try tonight without remote start to see if that makes a difference. If I remember correctly the few times it happened I started the car with the key and didnt allow it to warm up.

Even at age 16 (119lbs) I was able to pull the wheel of my 1983 ranger while sitting still without power steering.

When I snapped the belt on my Z28 a couple years ago (3400lb vehicle) I was able to turn the wheel without the power steering while stopped with no major effort.

· Registered
525 Posts
I always hear a motor running when I get out of my car. Never really paid much attention with all the electronics on this thing. BTW I did test the steering with the car off...DEFINATELY tighter than a non power assisted car (is this really SAFER??) however I was still able to crank the wheel while parked. :( Still trying to figure this thing out.

· Registered
525 Posts
trevor_s said:
The steering in my G6 GT is mangled. So mangled that I had to take a huge hit and upgrade to the GTP with the hydrolic steering, it cost me over $17k.

My steering has locked up on me a few times, and once during a left hand turn through an intersection and once on the highway which almost killed me, just to name a few.

I have recently, today, with my friend figured out how to reproduce this steering failure on demand.

This is what you have to do:

- Warm the car up for 20 min.
- Turn your wheel all the way left, then all the way right, then back left. Keep doing this until... tada! Your power steering will fail.
- Sometimes it takes me up to 20 times for it to fail, sometimes 3 or 4.

Please, everyone with a G6. Try this and get back to me with what happens!
Are you going slow or fast lock to lock? I was rotating with my palm back and forth and was unable to replicate.

· Registered
525 Posts
The GT might handle better..Im not sure if there was any suspension changes or not. Trust me I am an extremely agressive driver and have plenty of experience corner carving. In my Z I never had a single complaint (and the stock suspension wasnt the best on those either). This car actually has a lot more body roll than it should and definately doesnt feel stable entering a corner with any amount of speed. Im sure if I was coming from a truck I would be impressed (unless you owned an L before this. :) ) but lauras 99 Grand am handles a LOT better than my G6 and that is pretty bad considering its not even a GT GA. The last few test drives ive had I think the dealer was in shock... Ive made sure to test certain capabilities to ensure Im not going to end up dissapointed.

I am almost certain the GTP guys can not relate here since I believe they got a few upgrades in the handling department.

· Registered
525 Posts
Naw its alright. Its not like you can assess someone behind the wheel from the internet..and with the number of Michael Andrettis that post online I could be lying my head off. LOL

I may look to purchase the upgraded sway bars and maybe get some poly bushings.. I mean i have to live with this thing for a little while yet (6 grand upside down and counting down..LOL )

· Registered
525 Posts
G6Action said:
ok, i am retracting my appology.....i NEVER liked Michael Andretti and for all i know you may actually BE Michael Andretti.......even though i doubt it. you would probably find him on a Honda, Acura or Ferrari Website!!!!! LOL :D
You kidding me? I cheer everytime I see ferrari lose. :D I was referring to the fact that everyone online claims to be a perfect driver..so its really hard to take anyones word for it. :) Another words..if you didnt believe me i would completely understand. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.