Pontiac G6 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
S8ER99 said:
Naw its alright. Its not like you can assess someone behind the wheel from the internet..and with the number of Michael Andrettis that post online I could be lying my head off. LOL
ok, i am retracting my appology.....i NEVER liked Michael Andretti and for all i know you may actually BE Michael Andretti.......even though i doubt it. you would probably find him on a Honda, Acura or Ferrari Website!!!!! LOL :D

· Registered
422 Posts
Robyn P said:
I mean i have to live with this thing for a little while yet (6 grand upside down and counting down..LOL )

I with you!! :eek:[/QUOTE]

so what i gather is that with the addition of the story of the woman who 'flipped' her G6 (maybe, maybe not), we now have TWO meanings of being 'upside-down' in a G6....... :eek:

· Registered
525 Posts
G6Action said:
ok, i am retracting my appology.....i NEVER liked Michael Andretti and for all i know you may actually BE Michael Andretti.......even though i doubt it. you would probably find him on a Honda, Acura or Ferrari Website!!!!! LOL :D
You kidding me? I cheer everytime I see ferrari lose. :D I was referring to the fact that everyone online claims to be a perfect driver..so its really hard to take anyones word for it. :) Another words..if you didnt believe me i would completely understand. ;)

· Registered
422 Posts
S8ER99 said:
You kidding me? I cheer everytime I see ferrari lose. :D I was referring to the fact that everyone online claims to be a perfect driver..so its really hard to take anyones word for it. :) Another words..if you didnt believe me i would completely understand. ;)
i just KNEW you weren't Michael Andretti. because I'M MICHAEL ANDRETTI and i can drive circles around any of you......i just had my Super-Charged Twinn-Turbo 6.6 liter G6 up to 214 MPH without leaving my driveway!!! handled like a dream and....and......oh, DAMN IT!!! it WAS a dream! man, i just hate it when i wake up to reality. did i ever tell you about this time when jennifer aniston and i were driving on the autobahn?????

i guess the moral to this story is 'comprehend everything you read on line, and believe none of it.....unless you have experienced it yourself!! or, unless you hear it from ME.....then you know its the truth because i would NEVER lie to you......... :rolleyes: LOL :dogpile:

· Registered
1 Posts
Back on topic, I have been reading this and other threads on the steering wheel lockup subject with interest. I'm wondering if GM is using stepper motors for the power assist. These motors have (usually) three sets of windings which are energized in sequence. Energize them in one order and the motor turns one way, power them in the other order and the motor rotates in the opposite direction. Apply power statically to one or more windings and the motor freezes up, and requires a great deal of effort to turn. I am wondering if the microcontroller or whatever is used to sequence the windings is crashing due to some sort of transient spike or other anomaly? The clearing of the condition after 2 - 3 secs. could be a watchdog timer expiring and rebooting the unit.

One test that could help confirm or refute this idea is if those of you who experience this issue could immediately switch off the ignition key the next time the steering freezes. If my theory is correct, you should be able to turn the wheel after shutting off the ignition, although it will be somewhat difficult due to the lack of power assist. Could somebody please try this and report back? Thanks!

· Registered
422 Posts
GMC_DUDE said:
Back on topic, I have been reading this and other threads on the steering wheel lockup subject with interest. I'm wondering if GM is using stepper motors for the power assist. These motors have (usually) three sets of windings which are energized in sequence. Energize them in one order and the motor turns one way, power them in the other order and the motor rotates in the opposite direction. Apply power statically to one or more windings and the motor freezes up, and requires a great deal of effort to turn. I am wondering if the microcontroller or whatever is used to sequence the windings is crashing due to some sort of transient spike or other anomaly? The clearing of the condition after 2 - 3 secs. could be a watchdog timer expiring and rebooting the unit.

One test that could help confirm or refute this idea is if those of you who experience this issue could immediately switch off the ignition key the next time the steering freezes. If my theory is correct, you should be able to turn the wheel after shutting off the ignition, although it will be somewhat difficult due to the lack of power assist. Could somebody please try this and report back? Thanks!

actually, i have seen a thread on this in which someone DID do just that and their steering 'returned to normal'.

however, i have tried to 'duplicate' this situation by reaching 40+ mph, putting the car in neutral and turning off the key. out of the three times i did this, twice the car reverted to a 'manual steering' feel which was an increase in effort but still manageable at speed. the other time the wheel 'locked-up' and when applying alot of effort, the wheel actually felt like it was 'fighting back' and shook and pulsated in my hands.

in regards to the motor, i only know that it is a 'brushless type' motor. i thought that maybe it acts like a starter in that when the electrical system is on (car running) a solenoid 'engages' the motor to the column to apply the power assist. if power were to be suddenly deprived, the solenoid would disengage and the steering would be 'manual'. my theory is that for some unknown reason there is a temporary loss of power and the solenoid is NOT disengaging, therefore causing the wheel to 'lock-up' and when power is restored, it returns to normal. just a guess, as i can't find any info on the actual motor type and if it indeed even has a solenoid or how it operates.

my Service Manager told me that the steering column is serviced as an assembly, which includes the "Torque Sensor" and the "Position Sensor". when a G6 came in for the same issue and it DID have codes stored, it was recommended to replace the steering column. GM must think there is something in one or both of the sensors that is causing this problem. in the cars they have done this, they have had no further steering wheel lock-up complaints. the problem is that not ALL cars are storing codes, as was the case with mine. my Service Manager offered to replace the column, but i declined at this time as i would like to be certain this is the problem first.

thanks for the info and if you find anything else, please let us know........

· Registered
18 Posts
I have a question, in the mornings even after my car has warmed up, when I back out of my driveway and then put the car in drive and turn the steering while I always hear a click noise. What is this? The noise sounds like it's coming from the steering column. Anyone else hear this?

The only other motor I have ever heard running is from the ac/heat. If I turn from defrost to heating or cooling my face, etc.... I can hear I guess the car making the change. Does anyone else hear this?

when you find this out, let me know! I have this same thing with ours.

· Registered
9 Posts
I have a 06 GT and a 09 SE V6 both are 4DR Sedan

The 06 GT came with the electric steering and the 09 with hydraulic. After driving both types I find that the hydraulic steering give you better road feel. The electric seems to want to wander a little bit and at time gives me the feeling of floating on air. I find myself over steering the 06 GT around corners.

Now with that said I also have to comment on the tires that came with them. The 06 GT has Continental Contacts. They suck, and 09 has Hankook which ar better but not by much.

As for the steering on the 06 GT I've had the Rack & pinion replaced also the steering gear box. At first they added a lube repair to the gear box which lasted about 2 1/2 months. After several complaints of clicking and clunking in the steering they finally replaced the gear box.

As far as I'm concern the hydraulic steering is better.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.