Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I really like my G6, I sometimes wonder what Pontiac was thinking when they named it. I look back to the early to mid 80's when they went on a binge to call cars "exciting" names like 6000 or J2000 or T1000. :eek: People didn't like those names then and I can't help but wonder if G6 turned some people off for our cars. If they couldn't come up with something catchy and new, what would have been wrong with a retro name like Tempest. There is name recognition with older drivers like me, Tempests were quality econo-cars, and after all they begat the LeMans and GTO. Yeah... they should have called 'em Tempest. :D Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong..

·
Registered
423 Posts
....and while speaking of 'upscale', how about "A4 and A6 Audis", "S70 Volvos"??

but if you think about it, 'Bob G's got a point. why "G"6? its a "Z" body, why not "Z6"???? to me, the 'G' and the '6' look too similar, giving the back of my G6 GT a look of; 666T

....oh my God.....i'm driving the " Anti-Christ Turbo"!!!! well, if i'm going to hell, at least i'll get there QUICKLY and in STYLE!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
de-badge ur satan mobile :eek: .. oh yeah.. if anybody has de-badged.. can they post pics.. i'm scared it's going to look like a big Dodge Neon or something.. hah..

·
Registered
423 Posts
GJS said:
and the music is better there in hell LOL :D
....don't know about that. i've heard that being in hell was listening to COUNTRY 24-7.....LOL

as for the 'badges', i prefer the ones on my '05 to the new '06 style....they look like BLOCK LETTERS toddlers would play with to learn to spell, only CHROME!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
... well, the term G6 "could" have come about from many different thoughts but one of the most common beliefs is that it is the "6th generation Grand AM" being the Grand Am was essentially replaced by the G6; although, not officially ... anyway, just thought I'd give you my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
thunkele said:
de-badge ur satan mobile :eek: .. oh yeah.. if anybody has de-badged.. can they post pics.. i'm scared it's going to look like a big Dodge Neon or something.. hah..
I saw one on Cardomain, looks naked without something on there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges" oops, sorry... lol

G6Action, can you post a pic of the difference in the '05 and '06-- I haven't paid any attention but as I stated once in another post, my local dealer doesn't get much inventory and till now had only seen one '06 (I don't think they had but 3-5 '05 models total since they were introduced.

99grandamse you may well be correct about the origin of the name, for some reason that explanation is clicking with something else I read once but had forgotten about.

But it still doesnt explain the wonderful Pontiac 6000 :D What did that take the place of anyway?? Catalina? I don't know what the T1000 (Chevette look-a-like) was (T body?) :confused: but J2000 was a J body which soon became Sunbird.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Bob G said:
"Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges" oops, sorry... lol

G6Action, can you post a pic of the difference in the '05 and '06-- I haven't paid any attention but as I stated once in another post, my local dealer doesn't get much inventory and till now had only seen one '06 (I don't think they had but 3-5 '05 models total since they were introduced.

99grandamse you may well be correct about the origin of the name, for some reason that explanation is clicking with something else I read once but had forgotten about.

But it still doesnt explain the wonderful Pontiac 6000 :D What did that take the place of anyway?? Catalina? I don't know what the T1000 (Chevette look-a-like) was (T body?) :confused: but J2000 was a J body which soon became Sunbird.

well BobG, you ARE correct. Reaching back into my archive GM PARTS experience, the "T" body was the Chevette and T1000 and like you said, the Cavalier, Cimmaron (remember those?) and the J2000 were, of course, "J" bodies. the Pontiac "6000" was an "A" body at the time they came out, as they changed the "A" designation in '82 to the FWD platform and the 'old' "A" body became the "G" body, such as RWD Cutlass, Grand Prix, Malibu, Regal. i'm sure all this makes sense, RIGHT????

as for the 'badges', we really don't need no stinking badges and mine are coming off this weekend, but i AM leaving the Pontiac 'arrowhead'.....THOSE LOOK GOOD. i would love to send a pic, but i am basically 'computer illiterate' and wasn't until just a few months ago that i even owned one (DUDE, i got a DELL!!!) now i just have to get around to getting a digital camera. remember, you're dealing with the elderly here!!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
.....you know what? after thinking about it for awhile (20-30 secs), i'm making up my OWN BADGES!!!!!

in place of the G6, it will read "Z6" and on the other side i will replace the GT with a "GTr" (for GT, revised)

hey, its MY car and i'll put on it whatever i want!!! sure beats a 'Hillary Clinton for President' bumper sticker!!!

it might even be interesting to see the Service Advisor at Reeves Pontiac scratching his head wondering; 'What the Hell is a "Z6 GTr?" oh well, my little contribution to society......

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
remember, you're dealing with the elderly here!!!!
now I'm curious, do I have you beat? I'm 53.

sure beats a 'Hillary Clinton for President' bumper sticker!!!
Amen to that. Hasn't been a really good Presidential candidate since Ronald Reagan... lol.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Bob G said:
...If they couldn't come up with something catchy and new, what would have been wrong with a retro name like Tempest. There is name recognition with older drivers like me, Tempests were quality econo-cars, and after all they begat the LeMans and GTO. Yeah... they should have called 'em Tempest. :D Of course thats just my opinion, I could be wrong..
Actually, the Tempest was used from 1987-1992 in Canada only, as a re-badged Chevy Corsica, based on the L-Body platform. Needless to say, the 'Tempest' name lost it's lustre to most Canadians, who will remember the 80's econobox, rather than the original. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I thought I read on this board that the Bonneville would be replaced by G8 and the Sunbird by G4 so that it was tying the line's names together?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was able to de-badge in between the rain showers. I left the arrow head because I really like it, and didn't want the car mistaken for an Acura or Toyota which has happened before.

By the way, stealth grey sucks! Sometimes it's blueish and other times it's just plain old grey. :(

·
Registered
304 Posts
I like the arrow head also. Hope not to offend, but, it would look better without the bumper stickers.

Hey G6 Action, Do you really like Reeves???

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hambone said:
I like the arrow head also. Hope not to offend, but, it would look better without the bumper stickers.

Hey G6 Action, Do you really like Reeves???
Yes it does, but if your in Boston with New York plates on the car your liable to get it fire bombed during baseball season. Hence the big bold stickers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its weird. Mine is the same color as yours...and its SO blue, no one has even thought it was grey.

Hehe was going to ask you about the plates and being a SOX fan. I can't imagine it goes over well at home with all that on your car. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts