Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, well after a long drawn out battle over my steering locking up the dealership found a problem. They said they were 99.5% sure it was a sensor in the steering column. They notified me last week after I took it back with the data recorder installed in it. Thank goodness they figured it out!!! So they had my car over the weekend and I picked it up yesterday at noon. They said that the engineers at GM and a few others agreed that the sensor was most likely the cause. So I picked her up all shiny looking like new, drive her home, pick up my daughter and head off to do some grocery shopping. Well...I made a right had turn and BOOM! Lockup!!!! I called the dealership told them it did it again and they made me drive it back down there. I got there at 4pm and the service manager made me drive him around for 10 minutes while he analyzed everything I was doing while driving. It started to get really stiff as if it was about to lock up and he said "Ok thats enough lets head back to service." So we went back there and he was an A$$! He said that HE was going to drive my car with the data recorder on board until HE got it to duplicate! He made it sound like I was a liar!!! So here we are again, back to square one. Im done with this problem! I am getting an attorney and getting a new car one way or another!!! This car is beyond LEMON! And another funny thing that the service manager said when I picked up the car was that when he ordered the part, GM had 736 of these parts on hand. And it was shipped from a different place then usual. He said that he has a feeling GM knows something that they arent saying and that they have an abundance of these sensors for some reason. This is ridiculous! We are all GMs guinea pigs!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've read most of your posts regarding your G6's problems.

I don't have a 3500 so I can't know first-hand your problems, but I will say that I think you need to go to a different car dealership if you're not having any sucess with this one. If that guy was an ass about it, that's enough reason to go to another dealership.

This is all too weird. If so many members on this board are having that problem with their steering, I can't imagine how many non-board members must be. I can't see how GM hasn't had a statement regarding this yet. It'll be interestnig to see how this all plays out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thing that pisses me off is the Maliby owners went thru this and dealt with it over a year before we got our cars and yet they still dont believe us?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe your right about the lemon law... here in NC we can go to NCLemonlaw.com..maybe yoru state has it out that simple as well?..just a thought

·
Registered
423 Posts
Carissa249 said:
And another funny thing that the service manager said when I picked up the car was that when he ordered the part, GM had 736 of these parts on hand. And it was shipped from a different place then usual. He said that he has a feeling GM knows something that they arent saying and that they have an abundance of these sensors for some reason. This is ridiculous! We are all GMs guinea pigs!!!!
carissa....look on your repair order and see what part they actually replaced. i was told the the 'sensors' for the EPS (electronic power steering) are located on the steering column and that they are serviced as an assembly only with the column. see if the parts description says "column" or "sensor" and please let me know what the part number is. i know this sounds 'bad' but maybe they tried to give you a 'sugar pill' in that they told you they had replaced the defective part and in reality did nothing, hoping that you would leave THINKING your car was now repaired.

let me know, if you don't mind......i'm really interested to see what they actually DID replace!!!

oh, and as for the 736 parts on hand, that really isn't necessarily alot considering the hundreds of thousands of G6's, and whatever else may use that same part, across the country. i deal with these numbers every day and it's not really out of line. the absolute worst thing service advisors can do is make definitive statements on things of which they may have only 'limited knowledge'. such as was the case with MY service advisor telling me my car was 'fly-by-wire' and had no steering shaft connecting the column to the rack & pinion steering gear. DUH!! i had to point out the shaft myself, after which he replied; "huh???" pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
as you know it didnt fix the problem....so its back at the dealership...i got the car back and drove it for 4 hours and the check engine light and traction control light came on. When I took it back the code the computer stored was showing that theres a bad control module in the steering. I lost complete steering that time. The steering wheel had NO resistance. It was the complete opposite of the lock up. Ill keep you all updated

·
Registered
423 Posts
Carissa249 said:
as you know it didnt fix the problem....so its back at the dealership...i got the car back and drove it for 4 hours and the check engine light and traction control light came on. When I took it back the code the computer stored was showing that theres a bad control module in the steering. I lost complete steering that time. The steering wheel had NO resistance. It was the complete opposite of the lock up. Ill keep you all updated
WOW!!!! now that was totally unexpected.....good thing they were able to pull codes from the computer this time.

this is good!!! did you feel like after they told you this that they might have felt a little embarassed since they acted like they didn't believe you?

thanks for the info and please, keep us updated!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha funny you say that, the service manager wont even return my calls and the cust. assistance rep has nothing to say about it either. The bad thing about this is...the steering at that point was totally different then the previous problem. I am afraid that this still wont fix the lock up issue. we'll see. Check out my latest thread! This is getting serious

1 - 13 of 13 Posts