Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black 2008 Pontiac G6 GT.

My eye doctor wrote me a prescription because I get really bad migraines when I see the light.

I went to the DMV and they are mailing me a new driver's license with the "M" on it for Medical Alert. I put the doctor's prescription in a plastic sleeve to protect it, and then put it in my glove box.

I heard that if I tint my windows more than 50% (Minnesota state law), I can get pulled over and be ticketed. I did some research and found that the main reason window tinting is illegal is for the protection of the police officers. They need to be able to see what's inside the car they're walking closer to.

I called my local police department and explained my situation to them. They told me:
"Zach, you will probably get pulled over a lot. Like you said, just roll down your windows and show them your prescription and you'll quickly be on your way. Not many officers ticket for window tinting, and I don't see why any officer would still give you a ticket if you had a prescription and were cooperative... Now if you said "Why the blankity blank did you pull me over!! I have a blanking prescription", then you might get a ticket."

I called the tint shop and they say they can tint windows up to 5% and they can put a 5% "Eyebrow" on my windshield.

I scheduled an appointment to get the 5% eyebrow, 15% on my driver and passenger door, and 5% on all of the other windows. I'm only putting the 5% "eyebrow" on my windshield, nothing else.

------That's my current situation.

Now for what I need your help with (Please help!)..

I've heard rumors that it's practically impossible to see out the back at night with 5% "limo tint". I do have major problems with bright headlights in my rear-view mirror. My medical condition is real, but I don't want to impair my driving. Someone recommended 15% all the way around. The only thing is, the place I'm going to is going to charge me $300 total, and I don't want to get something that's not going to be effective enough.

So, is 5% too dark for the back window?

Also, I'm going to put a sound system in my car in the near future. The tint that I'm getting doesn't have any metallic stuff in it, it's just dye, so it won't affect my audio.

Thanks for reading my giant essay. I figured it would be good to answer any questions you might have had before you had the chance to ask them.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have 17% over the factory 18-20% on the back windows of my truck, that should give me 3-3.5%. I dont really find it too bad. In the city, where there are lights everywhere I have no issue. On the highway, I can't really see anything. If there is a car behind me, I can see the car because of its headlights. Also, backing up with stock reverse lights is a pain. They dont really emit enough light to be able to see anything. I solved that though by putting 11W cree LED lights in.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've got 5% all round with a 5% front strip then 20% down the rest of the windshield, my stuff is illegal but around here they don't pull you just for tint. That being said as Dman stated it shouldn't be a big deal only if your backing up at night, maybe get a backup camera or just roll the window down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same as these two. I have 5 percent and I solved it with led reverse lights. Simple fix.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ive got 3% on the rears and 10% on the fronts. It does suck at night, but rollin the windows down and knowing where you are in very imp

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had 20% on my G6 and I can tell you from experience that even that is hard to see out of at night. Headlights in the rear view mirror were like I had it set to Dim all the time. I don't know how severe your medical condition is. But you have to wander at what point you are helping yourself. And at what point you are imparing your driving even more. Because then you have a vision problem. And you can't see anything out of your windows because they are tinted too dark.

Sent from my Note 2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had 20% on my G6 and I can tell you from experience that even that is hard to see out of at night. Headlights in the rear view mirror were like I had it set to Dim all the time. I don't know how severe your medical condition is. But you have to wander at what point you are helping yourself. And at what point you are imparing your driving even more. Because then you have a vision problem. And you can't see anything out of your windows because they are tinted too dark.

Sent from my Note 2
Thank you for telling me this.
Actually, I'm always wearing sunglasses and I always have my mirror set to dim, day or night. So what you said is REALLY helpful. I get my windows tinted tomorrow.

I'll post some pictures when I get the chance.

·
Registered
290 Posts
my 20% all the way around is perfect because my eyes are also very sensitive to light. It has helped me a bunch and also makes the g6 look great in the process

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cant see shit. Got 5% all the way around. lol I drive by feel..... :) If anything 15% would be find and $300 for 4 windows on a G6 is expensive as hell. I only charge $190... And I'm freekin good at it and lifetime with Llumar tint. I hope it's Llumar or 3M tint for that cost.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I got 3m tint for $150 lol

Sent from my Note 2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope linking websites on this forum isn't a problem. This is where I'm going:
http://www.suncontrolmn.com/
They tinted a different car for me at 50% (MN legal limit). The job was nice, the tint bubbled during the first couple days (like they said it would), then it was perfect.. and stayed perfect.

They have tons of Google reviews, and I know their work is legit, so the extra $100 is fine for me.

----
I think after reading some of these posts, I'm going to ask them to tint the front windows to 20%. Then I'll sit in the car and try to imagine what headlights would like through the back.

If I go too light, it's pointless. The headaches will still come.
If I go too dark, it's pointless. My headaches will be replaced by impaired driving.
..Can someone post me what their tint % is and what it looks like (From the inside looking out)?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ever consider moderate tint, and then sunglasses? You can get varying shades of "shades", and then be able to flip them up or peer over them as required for a quick look out the side windows. Seems safer than a dangerous level of tint.

·
New 6er
48 Posts
Hey man, congrats on wanting to tint the windows. I have a black g6 with 20%. Tint is awesome, but i wish i went darker to 15%. Now i heard % tint is not an linear comparison, so i heard 15% is actually closer to 5% then 20% in terms of darkness. However, i don't remember the source and can't validate it. Anyways, i went darker because the inside is still pretty visible for 20% when in sunlight. Looking at the side view mirrors can be a pain when conditions are worsened at night. Those are my thoughts. have fun!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ever consider moderate tint, and then sunglasses? You can get varying shades of "shades", and then be able to flip them up or peer over them as required for a quick look out the side windows. Seems safer than a dangerous level of tint.
Somebody crashed into me. When my neck whiplashed, my vertebras slid forward and are now pinching some vain that goes to my brain. That's what is causing my headaches, which then causes my light sensitivity.

It started Feb 2nd after the accident, so I'm still trying to figure everything out. I see my chiropractor 4 times a week, I've seen a neurologist, and I get my second MRI this weekend.

The headache-causing light gets worse as the day goes by, and by night... Even my computer charger light (the little green one on the charger brick) bothers my eyes.

I'm nearly blind without glasses, and I'm trying to get the 'perfect fit' contacts, but I have football shaped eyes.

I have to put my hand over my eyes if someone uses their brake lights at night, even with sunglasses on.

My rearview mirror is always dimmed, too.

Now that you all know... That's why moderate tint is just not gunna cut it.

Also, my chiropractor put me on a 6month recovery program. I'm a full-time student and go to two separate colleges. I drive about 100miles a day, so my car is important to me.

I spend so much time in my car, I want it to look nice, sound nice, and be comfortable. That's why I joined this forum :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$331 for the tint, lifetime warranty on everything except broken windows and scratches from my seatbelt, it's llumar 15%. It's made from just dye so it won't effect my electronics.

It was $269 for the tint, $40 for some "eyebrow" strip, and tax. I know they're a good service. That secured feeling makes the extra $100 or whatever I paid more than you guys is worth it! :)

I'll post some pictures when it's finished.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again, I'm happy with the result. I won't stress the extra $100-$200 :)

Pics:

My car is a little dirty (Minnesota snow and salt).. But I can't wash it because the body shop did some painting.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Cant see shit. Got 5% all the way around. lol I drive by feel..... :) If anything 15% would be find and $300 for 4 windows on a G6 is expensive as hell. I only charge $190... And I'm freekin good at it and lifetime with Llumar tint. I hope it's Llumar or 3M tint for that cost.
Are you in this business?
I got a price for Llumar 0f $140 for the cheaper stuff, but it went up to $249 for something called CTX. Assuming that labor is a large factor, say $110 out of that first quote of $140, that would make the material worth $30.
If the same labor applies to the higher price CTX, that would make the material cost over four and a half times as much as the cheaper stuff. Is there really that much difference in the materials costs? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts