Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted some opinions on an idea I have for making a custom exhaust for my 07 G6 GTP. Since I can't really afford to get the GT-R system, I was thinking of taking off the stock muffler, and Y-ing it out with 2 Borla XS mufflers. I have a guy who works at a dealership near me and he said he can set it up for me for a case of beer lol.

Anyways, any opinions on how this may sound? I am also unsure about whether or not to remove the resonator and putting in a good flow through muffler.

I also saw on g6performance.com that Lampoon did something similar to this awhile back. Any feedback you can give me from that experience?

Edit: Would any particular series of Flowmaster sound better? I am looking for a deeper sound and not alot of raspiness. I also do not want it to sound like a civic lol.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Here was Kman's...

It has 2 SS MagnaFlow mufflers with 4" double-walled tips in back and an SS Magnaflow Round muffler in front to replace the resonator. The piping is 2.5" T409 SS up to the 'Y' pipe, which is 2.25" into the mufflers. The tone is amazing and there is no drone at all. The owner of the shop said, that it sounds Porsche-like. The pics are below.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that is exactly what I would want to do except instead of going from 2.5 inch back to 2.25 inch i would want to just run it 2.5 from the resonator on. Would that even make any difference?

I'm also leaning towards getting the two Borla XS mufflers and one 4 inch round magnaflow to replace the resonator with. I think that would sound pretty deep which is what I want. Now I just need to find out how much installation would run me after I buy the mufflers. Anyone have any ballpark estimates based on personal experiences?

And would this void my car's warranty by doing this?

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
My first custom system (so simular to what you are doing) ran me $100
for the labor and pipe. That was 2.5" and it wasnt mandrel bent.

No it will not void your warranty.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
For that price they put their most inexperienced guy to task. He commenced to burn and melt up the welds so bad it looked horrible. Because of the install I was never very happy. It sounded fine but the 6" flow through I put in to replace the resonator was to big. I recommend no larger than a 4". A 3" thrush or glass pack there would work fine. You just need something to cut the rasp...not necessarily muffle.....
anyway I got what I paid for. The sound was right on though.

Then a used GT-R crossed my path and I snagged it. 1000% better quality.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
I like the look of the dual exaust but I don't like the sound of aftermarket mufflers. I like them quiet. Maybe w/ the income tax returns wifie won't mind getting it done.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Just remember you get what you pay for.

I tried to go inexpensive and it didnt turn out like I had thought.

·
Registered
81 Posts
yeah...good point...considering that i only have a single outlet, just adding a second would already been an improvement...i couldn't really see how it would be a downgrade

has anybody in this forum done side exhaust? i have seen this G6 around town that has it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I finally got that stupid intake resonator out, had to take off the front bumper to get to it though since GM didn't feel it was important to give me a lugnut key. Anyways, I was planning on purchasing a new muffler tonight or tomorrow and was wondering if it would be better or worse to get just one straight through muffler past the resonator and just have them Y out the pipes from there or Y the pipes from the resonator back and have a muffler on each pipe? Or if I should get a single in dual out muffler and have them run it like how it is stock?

Edit: Also, how do most people around here feel about Cherry Bomb mufflers? My cousin had one on his grand am V6 and it sounded really nice.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
A flow through or cherry bomb muffler would work great replacing your resonator.
Then single in dual out behind to a GTP back dual valance.

Thats the way I did it the first time. All was great sound wise. Just had a bad install (welder) and my flow through was too big (6"). Be sure and get nothing bigger than 4"
there. I would not put a muffler where there isnt one now.

There is stock heat shielding in place as is and you can take advantage of that.

Magnaflow makes a few nice mufflers. I would definatly pull that 40lb resonator of though and replace it with a flow through.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I would probably get a cherry bomb glasspack to replace the resonator and then a single in dual out, either a cherry bomb extreme muffler or a flowmaster (I'm not a big fan of the way magnaflows sound).

For the muffler, should it be mounted the same way that the stock one is? I have a GTP now and the muffler sits sideways with the inlet coming in one side, one outlet wrapping around to the right back end and then one wrapping all the way around to the left? I would think that having the muffler sit straight with the inlet coming straight in and then having the outlets go out in a Y shape would be better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well I got the glass pack put in place of the resonator. The guy cut it off and welded the new one on for 60 bucks and did a great job. Unfortunately he said that the super 44 series won't fit on my car. I would need a flowmaster 80 series crossflow to fit. The factory muffler on mine is set up like the picture in the attachment but instead of dual inlets it has one inlet and an outlet on each side. He said he can make that work by welding a y pipe from the factory exhaust pipes and connecting them to the inlets and then running in normal from there but if I could find one with one inlet it might be better.

My question is, since that muffler is about 300 bucks everywhere I look..

A. Are there any other brands that have the same set-up?

B. Does anyone know of any other solutions? It seems that the 3.6L GTP is hard to add aftermarket stuff onto.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
I have one sitting on my garage floor.... Just hate to ship it cause its heavy.

Off brand here.

Or a flowmaster.

Just do a search for crossflow muffler on eBay.

Dont tell me you stuck with the 2-1/4"? You ate least bumped it up to 2.5"????
If not they make 1/4" reducers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope, I kept the 2-1/4". You have what sitting on your garage floor? And those two links you sent me wont work, I asked the guy and he said it had to be specifically how it was in that picture unless I wanted him to run completely custom pipes which I doubt I can afford.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
I know what you need. Ive been down this road before.
Links work for me.

I have a crossflow 2.5" flowmaster sitting on my garage floor. I had it on my G6 but replaced it with the
Magnaflow (altered baffel) crossflow GT-R exhaust.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The links worked, I was talking about the mufflers. I was told that it had to be the model that was the transversely mounted model that could be mounted horizontally. I guess the GTP set-up is different because of the duals.

Are you 100% sure that the one you linked me to would work with mine? I'm not trying to say you are wrong I am just telling you what I was told and I have no clue and don't want to lose anymore money. I appreciate the help.

P.S. I love the Crabs you gave me lol.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Those are transverse mounted mufflers. Talk to your installer. Show him the pictures.
They do mount sideways..... I dont want to be responsible for you buying what your installer may not want to install.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.