Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Idle goes ROUGH when I turn on heater. HELP?

30K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  greenman 
#1 ·
Why would this happen? Today i noticed when I turned my heater from defrost to head and feet "heat" selection, The idle went from about 800ish down to 450rpm. Then when I turned it back to defrost the rpm went back up to 800ish. What would cause this? is this bad?

#2 · (Edited)
The main difference in those two modes is that the A/C is turned on in defrost mode & off in bi-level.

With the A/C ON, idle speed is increased by the ECM to counter the added load of the compressor.

So the idle both drops & gets rough?

Did you ever solve the problem with the vacuum hose in your first post?

So in the blower OFF position it idles fine?

What year is that car?

No MIL or codes?

#3 ·
The main difference in those two modes is that the A/C is turned on in defrost mode & off in bi-level.

With the A/C ON, idle speed is increased by the ECM to counter the added load of the compressor.

So the idle both drops & gets rough?

Did you ever solve the problem with the vacuum hose in your first post?

So in the HVAC OFF position it idles fine?

What year is that car?

No MIL or codes?

I did correct the problem with the hose. I suppose to make it clearer....When I turn the defrost on my car runs at a normal idle, but when I turn the heater on to any setting (or turn it off) the car runs at a lower idle around 500. It is a 2005 Pontiac g6 GT. It idled at about 500 when I bought it, then I replaced the spark plugs/wires and the air filter. Then it idled at about 800-900 for about a day. Then it fell back down to 500ish.

#4 · (Edited)
So how I interpret what you have said so far is that the idle speed has been low since you bought the car & the only time it is normal is when the HVAC is in the defrost function. That is an unusual problem.

I'm assuming you have no codes then.

First I'd clean the MAF sensor & throttle body if you haven't yet.

Could be an intake vacuum leak which often won't pop a code. The real time fuel trim values would tell me more.

Are there any engine or electrical mods you're aware of?

read more here:
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/idleproblems.html

#5 ·
i get a rough idle when i have the car in drive with heater on in defrost or any position for that matter....if i pull up to a stop light i get like a rattle almost from the rumbling that begins and it sounds like it rattles the dash from the rumble...i always assumed it could be the radiator was bad?

#6 ·
Service Information
2005 Pontiac G6 | G6 (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 1511420
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rough, Unstable, or Incorrect Idle and Stalling
Inspections
Action

DEFINITION: Engine runs unevenly at idle. If severe, the engine or vehicle may shake. Engine idle speed may vary in RPM. Either condition may be severe enough to stall the engine.

Preliminary Inspections
• Refer to Important Preliminary Inspections Before Beginning in Symptoms - Engine Controls .

• Search for bulletins.

• Inspect the powertrain control module (PCM) grounds for being clean, tight, and in the proper locations. Refer to Power and Grounding Component Views in Wiring Systems and Engine Controls Schematics .

• Remove and inspect the air filter element for dirt or for restrictions.

Fuel System
• Test the fuel injectors. Refer to Fuel Injector Balance Test with Special Tool , Fuel Injector Balance Test with Tech 2 , and Fuel Injector Solenoid Coil Test .

• Inspect for restricted fuel or incorrect fuel pressure. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .

• Inspect for a contaminated fuel condition. Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis .

• Inspect that each fuel injector harness is connected to the correct injector/cylinder. Relocate fuel injector harnesses as necessary.

• Inspect for the following conditions that may cause the engine to run rich:

- Water intrusion in the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) connector

- Engine oil contaminated by fuel

- An evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge condition

- For proper operation of the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor--Refer to Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Diagnosis .

- For proper operation of the mass air flow (MAF) sensor. Refer to Scan Tool Data Definitions and Scan Tool Data List .

- Vacuum hoses that are split, kinked, or improperly connected

- An air intake duct that is collapsed or restricted

- An air filter that is dirty or restricted.

• Inspect for the following conditions that may cause the engine to run lean:

- Water intrusion in the HO2S connector

- An exhaust leak between the HO2S and the engine--Refer to Exhaust Leakage in Engine Exhaust.

- Vacuum leaks

- Incorrect fuel pressure--Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .

- Restricted fuel injectors--Refer to Fuel Injector Balance Test with Special Tool and Fuel Injector Balance Test with Tech 2 .

- Fuel contamination--Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis .

Sensor/System
• Inspect the air intake ducts for being collapsed, damaged areas, looseness, improper installation, or leaking especially between the MAF sensor and the throttle body.

• Inspect the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system for proper operation.

• Inspect the Transaxle Range Switch input with the vehicle in drive and the gear selector in drive or overdrive.

• Use a scan tool in order to monitor the knock sensor (KS) system for excessive spark retard activity.

Ignition System
• Inspect for proper ignition voltage output with the J 26792 Spark Tester. Refer to Electronic Ignition (EI) System Diagnosis .

• Remove spark plugs and inspect for the following conditions:

- Wet plugs

- Cracks

- Wear

- Improper gap

- Burned electrodes

- Heavy deposits

• An improper spark plug gap will cause a driveability problem. Gap the spark plugs using a wire gage gap tool.

• Determine the cause of the fouling before replacing the spark plugs.

• Inspect the spark plug wires for signs of arcing/cross firing, cracks, carbon tracking, plug boot damage, pinched, improper routing, or a resistance value outside the specified range.

• Soak the secondary ignition system with water from a spray bottle. Soaking the secondary ignition system may help locate damaged or deteriorated components. Look and listen for arcing or misfiring as you apply water. Monitor the Misfire Current Counters while driving the vehicle in the conditions that the misfire occurred. If a misfiring cylinder can be located, use the DTC P0300 table for diagnosis.

• Inspect for loose ignition coil grounds.

Engine Mechanical
• Inspect engine mechanical for the following conditions:

- Compression

- Sticking or leaking valves

- Worn camshaft lobes

- Valve timing

- Bent push rods

- Worn rocker arms

- Broken valve springs

- Excessive oil in combustion chamber or leaking valve seals

- For more information, refer to one or more of the following procedures in Engine Mechanical:

• Engine Compression Test

• Symptoms - Engine Mechanical

• Oil Consumption Diagnosis

• For incorrect basic engine parts. Inspect the following components:

- The camshaft--Refer to Camshaft and Bearings Cleaning and Inspection in Engine Mechanical.

- The cylinder heads--Refer to Cylinder Head Cleaning and Inspection in Engine Mechanical.

- The pistons, etc.--Refer to Piston, Connecting Rod, and Bearing Cleaning and Inspection in Engine Mechanical.

• Inspect for excessive crankshaft endplay that will cause the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor reluctor wheel to move out of alignment with the CKP sensor. Refer to Crankshaft and Bearing Cleaning and Inspection in Engine Mechanical. This could result in any of the following conditions:

- A no start

- A start and stall

- Erratic performance

Additional Inspections
• Inspect the exhaust system for possible restrictions. Inspect for the following conditions:

- The exhaust system for damaged or collapsed pipes

- The mufflers for heat distress or possible internal failure

- For possible plugged catalytic converters--Refer to Restricted Exhaust in Engine Exhaust.

• Electromagnetic interference (EMI) on the reference circuit can cause an engine miss condition. A scan tool can usually detect EMI by monitoring the engine RPM. A sudden increase in RPM with little change in actual engine RPM change indicates that EMI is present. If a problem exists, inspect routing of secondary ignition wires or high voltage components near the ignition control circuits.

• Inspect the intake manifold and the exhaust manifold passages for casting flash.

• Inspect for an EGR valve stuck open or EGR pintle not seating properly. Inspect EGR valve gasket for leaks.

© 2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.