Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
09G6GT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 GT Sedan with 111k miles.

Lately, the car has been making lateral movements while driving. Steering wheel will be straight and than it will jerk slightly to the left, as will the car.
A couple moments later, it corrects itself, but goes back to doing it again. I had the car aligned which improved the problem slightly, but it's still doing it.

Sometimes the movement is slight, while other times it is more pronounced. Passengers can definitely notice the shifting of the vehicle.

Someone told me it might be the pittman, idler or control arm but I want to get a better idea before I take it to the mechanic (unfortunately, I can't fix it on my own) and want to know what I'm talking about if at all possible.

There are no noises coming from the front end so I don't think it's ball joints or anything like that.

Anyone else have any experience with this type of problem?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
There is no pitmen arm on these cars.
It could be a ball joint or lower control arm or a bad tie rod.
If any of those parts are worn the shop doing the alignment should have told you as you need to fix those to hold the alignment.

It could all be the steering intermediate shaft which is less likely.
And it could also be a worn out steering rack.

Does going over bumps produce any odd pulling?

·
09G6GT
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I will take it back (firestone) this weekend and tell them it's still pulling to see what/if they tell me.

Is there any way to tell which one of those it may be (without jacking up the car)?

Bumps and grooves in the road do make it pull, but it does it when there are no bumps or grooves as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 07 G6 GT also pulls & pops whenever i turn the wheel slightly in either direction. My problem is my strut.. that I haven't replaced yet. The pop is the spring hanging up & releasing. You can actually see it jump. I tried to grease it to temporarily quiet it down but it didn't work. Hope that helps you?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts