Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
08 G6 GT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking to a friend at work and telling him I was going to do something to my G6 and mentioned I had to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. He said that if I do that I would have to take the car to the dealership to reset something on the radio if I didn't know some certain code or the car locks up. He told me that from experience with something like that happened to his ex-girlfriends G6.

Anyone heard of this and know if it's true? I tried searching for an answer and can't find it. If this is true I don't want to go on because I don't know the code.

·
08 G6 GT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be doing installing a mtx req for my sub and amp. Also after that if everything works out ok and don't need a reset I will spend tomorrow debadging the 6.

·
Procrastinator
67 Posts
I pulled the cable on my battery when I deployed and didn't have an issue when I put it back on. I didn't change anything though. I've never heard of that before either.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
So I was talking to a friend at work and telling him I was going to do something to my G6 and mentioned I had to disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. He said that if I do that I would have to take the car to the dealership to reset something on the radio if I didn't know some certain code or the car locks up. He told me that from experience with something like that happened to his ex-girlfriends G6.

Anyone heard of this and know if it's true? I tried searching for an answer and can't find it. If this is true I don't want to go on because I don't know the code.
The only batt disconnect warning from the SM:

Service Information
2008 Pontiac G6 | G6 (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 9789
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battery Disconnect Caution
Caution: Unless directed otherwise, the ignition and start switch must be in the OFF or LOCK position, and all electrical loads must be OFF before servicing any electrical component. Disconnect the negative battery cable to prevent an electrical spark should a tool or equipment come in contact with an exposed electrical terminal. Failure to follow these precautions may result in personal injury and/or damage to the vehicle or its components.

For Vehicles equipped with OnStar® (UE1) with Back Up Battery:

The Back Up Battery is a redundant power supply to allow limited OnStar® functionality in the event of a main vehicle battery power disruption to the VCIM (OnStar®module). Do not disconnect the main vehicle battery or remove the OnStar® fuse with the ignition key in any position other than OFF. Retained accessory power (RAP) should be allowed to time out or be disabled (simply opening the driver door should disable RAP) before disconnecting power. Disconnecting power to the OnStar® module in any way while the ignition is On or with RAP activated may cause activation of the OnStar® Back-Up Battery (BUB) system and will discharge and permanently damage the back-up battery. Once the Back-Up Battery is activated it will stay on until it has completely discharged. The BUB is not rechargeable and once activated the BUB must be replaced.

© 2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

·
08 G6 GT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot man for that. Now I feel more comfortable doing this tomorrow.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I don't have OnStar, but I disconnect my battery all the time. The only con is that it resets my radio's clock and settings.

·
08 G6 GT
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After I did this I got a "Changer Parked" message on my info screen. I hit load button and now it hasn't come back.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
After I did this I got a "Changer Parked" message on my info screen. I hit load button and now it hasn't come back.

Service Information 2009 Pontiac G6 | G6 (VIN Z) Service Manual | Document ID: 2211203
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIC4509B: Radio Displays Changer Parked Message - keywords CD battery display int intermittently no owners park radio - (Nov 19, 2008)

Subject: Radio Displays "Changer Parked" Message

Models: 2004-2007 Chevrolet Malibu

2008 Chevrolet Malibu Classic

2005-2009 Pontiac G6

This PI was superseded to update models and model years. Please discard PIC4509A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A customer may comment that the radio will display a "Changer Parked" message intermittently at times, and there is NO explanation in the owner's manual for this message.

This message will display after the CD mechanism has initialized or when you manually park the CD mechanism. Initialization occurs normally upon a battery reconnect.

The mechanism will unpark itself once you press the CD load button.

Note: After pressing the CD load button, you will NOT get a message that's it's unparked.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2011 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
There's a cheap gadget you can plug into a power port that will maintain the clock & settings.
I know. I've used a ATV battery charger before when I didn't know if my computer settings from my DIC would save since I had an aftermarket stereo, but now I just disconnect it without the charger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts