Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my faulty ignition coil on my Pontiac g6 2005..and also the spark plug wire while I'm at it.
Has anyone ever done it? I have a little knowledge and basics
Tried looking for videos on YouTube.but havent seen any.
Can anyone suggest where to find that info
Thx

·
Registered
10 Posts
You need to say which engine you have. The four cylinder engine has four coils, one on top of each spark plug. The 3.5 V6 engine uses a coil pack. How do you know you have a bad coil ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My engine is 6 cylinder with a single cluster ignition coil.
I took it to 2 reputable mechanics and they both said my coil was bad

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK... The coil pack is sitting on top of the rear valve cover. Looks like a simple swap. Don't mix up the spark plug cables. My G6 is a 4cyl so my plugs are easy to get to. Assuming your V6 is the 3.5, the spark plugs are down nesting with the exhaust manifolds. Don't know how hard these are to get to. I once had a Buick Le Sabre V6 and the plugs were located like yours. It was a bit difficult and I needed a selection of spark plug wrench options but it was doable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe switching the coil is pretty easy..Whats going to be a little tricky is removing the rear spark plugs..will try not to mix up the wires..
Thx for all ur info

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are quite welcome. You will learn why spark plug wrenches usually have a hex at their end. Hahahaha. Suggest getting long lasting platinum or iridium types so as to extend the need to change them again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All went well..managed to change spark plug wires.sparkplugs.air filter and ignition coil.also cleaned carburetor.
Things.looked very intimidating at first.but once I got started.everything was a breeze...got a little worried when I couldnt remove the rear spark plugs.
Now the car is running smoother.no hessitation. And no check engine light.
Just waiting to see the gas mileage.hope it improves.as this was one of the main reason for doing this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts