Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a unique problem with my 2005 G6 sedan. When the temperature gets below freezing I have trouble removing the ignition key. I have to sit a wiggle it around for a while before it releases. The problem occurs with my wife's key as well. One dealership said they would need to remove the console and adjust the tranmission linkage. Has anyone else heard of this cold weather problem? It is very annoying.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll tell ya next week, we are supposed to get below freezing by Wednesday. I hope not, so far I haven't had any of the problems others have had.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had the same probem in my Grand Am, which uses a similar ignition cylinder design. Your dealer is correct, the cable that links the gearshift to the cylinder needs to be adjusted (The cable and corresponding mechanism is what prevents you from removing the key unless the transmission is in park).

Edit: Should take about 20 minutes once they get working on it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
bigbengt67 said:
I had the same probem in my Grand Am, which uses a similar ignition cylinder design. Your dealer is correct, the cable that links the gearshift to the cylinder needs to be adjusted (The cable and corresponding mechanism is what prevents you from removing the key unless the transmission is in park).

Edit: Should take about 20 minutes once they get working on it.
can't say i've had that problem but what 'bigbengt67' said makes perfect sense.

have the dealer repair it before it won't come out at all!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lampoon said:
What does freezing mean?
Take the warmest day of the year where I live (75F - 80F) and you'll likely consider it freezing where you live.

Don't ask about the coldest day. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts