Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some research online to try to find the perfect car. I loved my 2001 Grand Am more than anything so I decided to look for a G6. I've got it narrowed down to 2 of them locally, but need some opinions from everyone. One of them is GM Certified with 42,000 miles so I get the 12,000 mile/12month warranty on it (base model) or I can get a GT with 27,000 miles on it which would still have some factory warranty but isn't GM Certified. Both cars are the same year and same price. I can get the base model for $14,000 and the GT for 14,500. I really need some opinions on which one would be best. Also could someone tell me how the gas mileage compares between the two. I appreciate it greatly. :)

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
I've been doing some research online to try to find the perfect car. I loved my 2001 Grand Am more than anything so I decided to look for a G6. I've got it narrowed down to 2 of them locally, but need some opinions from everyone. One of them is GM Certified with 42,000 miles so I get the 12,000 mile/12month warranty on it (base model) or I can get a GT with 27,000 miles on it which would still have some factory warranty but isn't GM Certified. Both cars are the same year and same price. I can get the base model for $14,000 and the GT for 14,500. I really need some opinions on which one would be best. Also could someone tell me how the gas mileage compares between the two. I appreciate it greatly. :)
The GT gets worse gas mileage by about 2 or 3 MPG on the highway because the gears in the transmission are different. This difference makes the GT a bit faster than the non-GT model. But if you drive it gently the GT model can get pretty decent gas mileage - I've held 31+ on an all-freeway trip.

Were it my choice I would buy the GT since it has fewer miles on it (they were probably both prior rentals, definitely if they are 2010s) and it has higher resale value. The $500 in price difference should be more like $1500 or $2000 with the disparity in miles and models.

~ MattInSoCal

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Actually they wanted 17,000 for the GT model but I talked the salesman down to 14,500. I test drove the GT today and found myself speeding a lot. I told my husband I'm going to have a lot of speeding tickets if I get that one. :D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks! Actually they wanted 17,000 for the GT model but I talked the salesman down to 14,500. I test drove the GT today and found myself speeding a lot. I told my husband I'm going to have a lot of speeding tickets if I get that one. :D
I say get the GT. Don't look back. You'll love it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to get my car one day next week and I'll post some pictures of it when I get it. I'm wanting to see about getting a extended warranty for it but I'm not sure if that's something the dealer can help me with or if I have to try to find my own. Do any of you have a extended warranty and if so did your dealer sell you one or did you find one on your own? Thanks again.

Here's the pictures of it from the dealer site.

Sorry for such large pictures I don't know how to make them smaller. I can't wait to get it home so I can take some better pictures of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go for the GT...you won't be sorry

The GT in the pics looks like the one I just bought a few days ago. 2010 GT, carbon black metallic, 3.5 V6, sunroof, heated leather seats, factory remote start, etc. Had <22k miles on it. Pretty cherry and LOVE the color. The 2.4 in the base model is anemic and unsatisfying. I too got over 31mpg on a recent trip. Averages over 22 around town with a some highway miles thrown in. I threw a K&N filter in yesterday, so we'll see what it does for mileage/performance. Plan is to install a cold air intake (CAI). Gain is only ~5 hp, but better than nothing. Perhaps a magnaflow catback one of these days. It's the wife's car, so don't want to make it too crazy, although I do drive it sometimes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.