Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep looking for info on a incabin filter for my 2006 G6. The manual says nothing about one. Then I see a posting that somebody bought one on a GM part site & he even gave the part number! Whats up??? Does the G6 have one or not?????

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes, cabin air filter can be added

I just got one of the last G6 sedans, a "new 2009" model. I was happy to find this forum when considering my purchase.

I went looking for info about a cabin air filter, which my last two Fords have had. My search brought me eventually to a Saturn Aura forum which discussed the existence of a place to put a filter, though it does not come with one:

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~saturnfa/forums/showthread.php?t=125011

I pulled down my glovebox in one minute -- look closely into the left and right edges, and you'll see the two stops to know just where to squeeze the box sidewalls. The directions there mention a cable release, but my G6 does not have this. The air intake area is right there. Molded into the plastic are some dashed lines and a note - cut here for air filter.

Some of the latest posts suggest that some might have found a premade filter to fit this opening, but it's not confirmed yet. Others went for a DIY solution, like post #50:

Went to Lowe's big box store. Looked at all furnace filters. Selected the following:
Filtrete Ultra Allergen 10 X 20 X 1

-Cut the length to 8" using heavy shop scissors.
This yielded a piece with actual dimensions of:
9 3/4 wide
8 deep
13/16" thick.

Nice snug fit side-to-side and top to bottom.
Turned blower on, worked great and I could smell the fresh filtered air!
I'm just going to make my own, I think. After I get the filter in, I will seal it off with a piece of aluminum foil tape. (They say that duct tape isn't really good for ducts, and to use that foil tape instead.) It makes sense to me to seal it back up so that it's pulling only fresh air from outside. The recirc button is what you use if you don't want outside air.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I understand that GM designed several models with the space for cabin air filters back in the 2000s but the money crunchers nixed them as a cost cutting measure. My mom's Buick Lesabre is that way.

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
If you want a cabin air filter, you have to modify your air box in order to add one yourself.

You can either hack together your own air filter like I did or use the commercial one that is supposed to be for our car. Admittedly my how-to is a little ghetto but it works. I may some day make a metal door for the filter access like someone did on the G6 Performance site (the how-to is posted there as well).

~ MattInSoCal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts