Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of flex led lights that I want to mount under the dash on both sides. What is the best way to wire them in so they come on when you start the car?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
You want them on all the time the engine is running day or night? I put mine on the courtesy lamp (self-dimming) circuit so they act just like the dome lamp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I don't really have a choice cuz it didn't come with the adapter so I guess I gotta wore it to the fuse box. Only problem right now it's getting inspected and oil changed and I know this sad but I don't even know where the fuse box is cuz I've never had problem

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I installed some courtesy lights on my car, but Its wired into the dome light circuit so they fade and all. Here's the thread
http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22054
If you scroll down you'll see a pic of how I wired it up. You can do the same to get your lights to turn on and off and fade with the dome light.
That's a great thread. Undercarriage puddle lamps on the courtesy light circuit are something I want to add this spring. I already bought the undercarriage tube lamps at ledglow.com but am still working on the details of securing them properly & pulling the wires into the cabin. It's a great mod & I'm surprised you don't see more new cars with this feature.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Well I don't really have a choice cuz it didn't come with the adapter so I guess I gotta wore it to the fuse box. Only problem right now it's getting inspected and oil changed and I know this sad but I don't even know where the fuse box is cuz I've never had problem
Well my ledglow tube lamps came with a control box that I cut off & threw away because you could not use it on the courtesy lamp circuit & get the auto dimming effect. I have 4 tubes in the cabin: 2 under the dash & 2 under the front seats pointing at the rear passenger floor. It's a nice effect.

Point is you don't need any adapter/controller.

Also FWIW, I don't recommend that you use any fuse taps of any kind. GM fuse holders are pretty delicate & if you spread the holders or break them you're screwed. In the case of the BCM fuse box it means replacing the BCM. Much better to tap directly onto a wire with an inline fuse holder like these:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHM-Holder-Protective/dp/B000BXHWD4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1329512382&sr=1-1[/ame]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah when i picked it up and actually looked i found it instantly. the lights can with like a battery pack for demonstration purposes so i gotta cut the wires and run them to a 12v source so run it right to the fuse box?

·
Registered
43 Posts
In a previous vehicle I had a neon stick underneath the front seats aimed towards the front. They were hardwired into a constant on circuit however they lit up by sound. When I first started the vehicle (the rumble of a Hemi w/40 series), and when accelerating, they would light up and go out on deceleration. Always caught people by surprise

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
yeah when i picked it up and actually looked i found it instantly. the lights can with like a battery pack for demonstration purposes so i gotta cut the wires and run them to a 12v source so run it right to the fuse box?
If the LED strip is designed for use at 12-14.5 volts then wire them directly to any 12v source you want. They require very little current.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts