Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Installing an aux port on a 2007 G6 GT

6K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  dxG6 
#1 ·
I am basically looking for the cheapest method to install an aux port with the stock head unit of this car. From what I have read, there are cables/adapters that can plug into the back of the head unit and will then give you access to an aux port to use for various devices. I took my car to the only local car audio store in my town and asked them about it and they said it required a special piece that would need to be ordered and estimated it'd be at least $200 for the install. This seemed steep to me considering Best Buy claims they can install aux ports in any car for $60 (not including the hardware needed).

So my question is, what adapter or cable would I need to do this? I have experience with car audio, but can't for the life of me find an image of the back of a G6's head unit so I can see what ports are there. It also kind of bothers me how difficult it is to access the rear part of the head unit considering you have to remove the glove box of the vehicle among other things.

Can anyone fill me in on exactly what piece I'd need to do this? Also, how would you go about selecting the aux input on the head unit when there is no built in aux port? I know with many head units that include aux inputs, you can just select the aux mode and it will receive input through the port. But since this head unit doesn't include such a port, how would you even select it?

and lastly, anyone happen to have an image of the rear of these head units just so I can have an idea of what I'd be working with?

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm assuming this would get rid of FM radio abilities, right? I mean I'm not entirely against that. I live in a pretty rural area and FM reception is mediocre at best down here. Also the little box that on that kit that allow you to switch frequencies, do you need to be able to always access that? Or can it be hidden behind the dash? Not exactly sure what the frequency selections do on the thing.

I think I'm going to find some other car audio places around the area and shoot them emails and get more estimates. There's only one in my town, but I'm willing to drive elsewhere if I can find a much better deal.

i tapped into the wires between the xm module and the radio but i don't know if you radio has the input on the back.btw 2008 and up g6 radios have a built in aux input but im told the radio only work in the car they were installed in unless a gm dealer resets them.
I've contemplated doing this as I've seen 2008+ model head units for sale online and they aren't that pricey. But then I read that a GM dealer charges a pretty penny just to flash the unit to your car which sucks. I could just replace the entire head unit with some aftermarket one, but then I'd lose the whole trip meter, MPG, fuel range, etc. features and I don't want that.

#11 ·
WHi new to this and not sure where to begin this. Have an 08 GT with the Monsoon 6Pack cd and xm. Problem is when I plug my phone into the aux line in it seems like the signal is by passing the amp. Need to crank volume at the source and on the head unit to get any sound at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.