Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The driver's door speaker in my G6 is kaput. The tweeter still works, but the 6" driver is shot. I pulled it out and tested it using a different signal source, but no sound came out. For completeness, I connected another speaker to the door wiring and got sound out, so I'm satisfied it is indeed the speaker that's shot.

The challenge here is dealing with the way the original equipment speaker is made. The speaker is integral with the speaker mount - it's all molded together. On the websites of the retailers, the aftermarket 6.5" (and 6.75") speakers are listed as being replacements. But I can't see how they'll fit into the funky shaped openings in the doors.

I suppose I could fab some mounts to adapt to the doors, but I'd rather not deal with that if I don't have to.

What have others done when installing new door speakers? Do aftermarket speakers ordinarily come with adapter mounts that fit the G6? Did you fab something to make them fit?

Thanks for your replies. Doug .

·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what the back of the speaker look like i replace mine and till used the OEM mounts its been so long i rember four screws
There aren't any screws on the back, nor under the foam rubber seal. The speaker frame is molded right into the mount. But my factory shop manual does indeed show four screws on the front implying the speaker can be removed from the mount.

Googling this, I found that GM apparently made quite a few of these one-piece units, in multiple models including G6's, G5's, HHR's and Impalas. The solution is these replacement mounts from Scosche: http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/installation/2006-up-gm-6-5-speaker-adapter About 10 bucks from various outlets.

They allow you to mount an ordinary 6.5" speaker in the door. That said, before I order them, I plan to see if I can hack the old speaker/mount and use it as a mount for a new speaker. I think I can do that, but I'll know for sure after this weekend ;)

Doug

·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think if you buy the new speakers from crutchfield, those adapters are included free if I'm not mistaken...
Yes, I saw that they were offering them free, but I can't recall if they automatically included them, or if the user had to select them / add them to the cart.

Looking at pics of the adapters, they looked a tad flimsy. I'm gonna try hacking the old speaker first before I order any adapters. I'll post pics...if I'm successful ;)

Doug

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yes they are a bit flimsy but works just fine.
The stock ones are more sturdy but it's a pain to get the speakers out.

·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll post pics...if I'm successful ;)
I finally got around to hacking the old all-in-one speaker-and-mount into a suitable mount for a replacement speaker. The hack worked, but the replacement speaker(s) turned out to be duds. So I ended up buying new speakers from Crutchfield, and, of course, they throw in the adapters, so my hack will just end up in my stash of junk parts :eek:

More pics and a write-up are here . Doug .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts