Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Intake scoop on the bumper?

11K views 50 replies 9 participants last post by  mike0513 
#1 ·
I was playin around with some ideas to get colder air into the area where the intake sucks in air, i saw someone do a sheet metal scoop on the bottom, but thinking of rain or snow i personally would not be comfortable with the possibility of scooping water right into the intake, so i was thinking of buying a scoop and cutting a hole in the bumper on the side of it and using bondo or something to smooth out any seams you might see. Think this could work? if i do it right i actually think it could look pretty cool....let me know what you guys think

Thanks,
Mike

#7 ·
I would reccomend using plastic pvc from like lowe's or home depot, I have been thinking of making a full intake, right now I ran off the MAF and down into the bumper with Spectre tubing, flange, and filter from Auto Zone. If you wanted to you could use the tubing they have to do the hole system, but I thinkn PVC will be cheaper.

#12 ·
it feeds air to a box. The air is not a straight line shot to the filter.
Water exits the bottom of the Cold Ram Air Box (Crab) if it gets through the 90 at
the scoop and the two 90's in the quarter. The air puts positive pressure into the box.

I drove my G6 through hurricane Ike....Zero issues.

No snow down here but zero reports back from the people who use that set up in Canada. Its up to you though....

you cant purchase this....you have to make it.

#15 ·
Update:

Just started work on this project due to school and work, but my license got suspended so I got some time to work on it haha...here are some pics. Im using dryer vent expandable tubing, its light, strong, and the ridges are close enough together that it is almost completly smooth on the inside.

#20 ·
I don't know lampoon, that dryer tubing looks pretty sturdy and it's smooth and just plain looks better than the drain connector.
It looks like it might make a pretty decent intake tube and be a lot cheaper than any after market product I've seen. I don't know if it would be good to connect straight up to the intake on the engine tho.
By the way, Lampoon, do you have a thread about how you made your intake?? It looks like a pretty good set up.

#25 ·
ran a hose from the intake, removed the resonator and fog light, and bam! got a ram air intake
only reason i didnt do that is because now i have a 4 inch ram air and it looks like yours is drastically smaller...although you probably only had to spend 10 min doin yours and ive spend hours gettin the scoop perfect and its still not there lol

#26 ·
ya man to be honest, i spent HOURS trying to fit a 4 in scoop in the grill but i gave up because it would involve alot of cutting. so instead, i pulled out the resonator and cut off the tanks on it but left the 4 inch pipe. then i put the hose in one of the holes that was cut from the tanks, so its the same resonator, without the tanks, but has that ram air hose shootin a whole lot of extra air in there. i tell a difference going into 3rd on my 3.5.

#29 ·
Its gonna look great when it all done,good idea

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.