Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I am looking to change up my interior lighting a little bit. First thing that I would like to do is replace the dome and front two map lights with pure white LED bulbs. I kno the bulbs are 561 for the dome and 168 for the map lights but I am unsure as to what bulbs specifically to get.....anyone who has done this can you show me the bulbs that you got? also I am looking to add lighting under the dash in the driver and passenger floor pans. I was thinking about doing a strip of red leds in each pan....how would I go about doing this...Do i have to connect it to the fuse box which is right on the right side of the console so that would be convenient if so....if you have any knowledge on this subject it would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
331 Posts
i have the red strip of LED lights. once you get the LED's you probably should get your power from the cig lighter in the center console.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I made my own led light strips and wired mine into the fuse box. IMO thats the easiest and cleanest way to do it. If you want to wire it into the fuse box get yourself an add-a-ciruit to create a new circuit with. Then just wire your new circuit to a switch and connect the LEDs to it. You may need to put a resistor inline aswell

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about using this kit to light up my floor pans in the front....I could have the control unit in the center console and run the wires up to the front of the pans under the dash....it says I could hook straight into a fuse....I would like the lights to come on when the interior lights are on so what fuse would I hook up into? thanks and has anyone replaced their map and dome lights with LEDS?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
which interior lights do you want to hook up to. the ones that turn on when you open the door or the ones on the dash that come one when it gets dark out?

also you'd be best off to use the add-a-circuit and make a new circuit for it rather than just hooking it up to the fuse

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow! Those are cheap! I'm defiantly interested in doing this! Are there any other suggestions?

@Dmanj, can you post links to the LED's you have? thanks man!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
not the exact same thing that i bought, but the same type of deal. except i got mine cheaper:D

5mm LEDs

Drums - unfotunately i dont know which fuse that will be, best bet is to either wait until someone else comes and tells you, or just pull a fuse, see if the lights come on when you turn the headlights on. if they do, put the fuse back and try another one. if they dont then thats the one

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
now that i think about it is there a way to make it so it does both? when the interior lights are on and when the dash lights up when its dark

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i def can settle with it just coming on when the dash lights up.....if someone could point me to the right fuse that would be greatly appreciated...also is there an easy way to tell the positive end of the fuse? or is really jus guess and check?

·
Registered
114 Posts
not the exact same thing that i bought, but the same type of deal. except i got mine cheaper:D

5mm LEDs

Drums - unfotunately i dont know which fuse that will be, best bet is to either wait until someone else comes and tells you, or just pull a fuse, see if the lights come on when you turn the headlights on. if they do, put the fuse back and try another one. if they dont then thats the one
Do you know of any red ones?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
drums - fuses dont have a positive of negative end.

Pr0cl1v1ty - red 5mm leds. keep in mind if you go this route, they are just individual leds and you have to wire them all by hand.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So if I wire it into the fuse it doesnt matter which way it goes? jus shove one end in each fuse hole and Ill be good to go? also I was thinking about going with 2 sets of 9.5 inch LED bars instead of a kit bc I dont really care about the control module it would be cheaper and easier to do with out it

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
if you can get it in with the fuse, yes.

however that fuse was only meant to cover the dashlight circuit. i recomend using one of these. it goes in the place of the fuse and then you have a spot to put the original fuse as well as a spot for a fuse for a new circuit. then you would just connect the LEDs to the new circuit.

also you could try these if you can find them in red. you may just need to add a resistor in line to keep from blowing the LEDs. i dont know if they have the correct resistance built in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so if I got something like this link All i would have to do is put the original fuse that it replaced into this adapter and hook up the positive end of the LED strips to it....Where would I hook up the ground from the LED strips?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
yep. theres 2 grounding posts right beside the fuse box in the center console that you can ground to

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok cool man thanks for all your help this seems like a pretty easy mod to do...I appreciate the help and will let you kno how it all goes.....Anyone Know which fuse runs the dash lights with the head lights?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
update: ok so I found the fuse that controls the dash lights.....its the bottom right most fuse.....I found it by pulling all of the ten amp fuses until they turned off...heres the freaky thing after i found the right fuse I put it back in and then I started the car and pulled it out to make sure that it was the one.....It was all good so i turned the car off and then put the fuse back in and buttoned things up.....I then started the car again and it gave me a service airbag error? wth? I am pretty sure I put all the fuses in back in the right spot i did one at a time so it would be pretty hard to mess up...has anyone had an experience like this?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Did you start the car with the airbag fuse pulled? Since you only pulled 10A fuses it wouldn't matter where you put them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts