Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2005 Pontiac G6 and I've been having a clunking noise coming from the steering. My mechanic tells me though it is annoying, it's not a safety issue and it won't give out. Should I be worried about this? I am a person who does alot of travelling with my family and knowing I have this problem is a bit scary. I've spoken to other G6 owners and most, if not all of them has had the same problem. After they had it fixed, the problem still comes back. Anybody have any advice on this issue?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
What kind of grease did you use? I think the GM grease they want you to use is thicker and stickier, but I'm not sure...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there a fix for the painted shaft? I have a 2009--early build date, and I'm pretty sure it's the painted one. I also noticed that the picture in post #2 seems to be the painted shaft that you're not supposed to lube. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Is there a fix for the painted shaft? I have a 2009--early build date, and I'm pretty sure it's the painted one. I also noticed that the picture in post #2 seems to be the painted shaft that you're not supposed to lube. Any thoughts?
Post 2 pix is from a GM TSB, so doubt it's painted.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I own a 2005 Pontiac G6 and I've been having a clunking noise coming from the steering. My mechanic tells me though it is annoying, it's not a safety issue and it won't give out. Should I be worried about this? I am a person who does alot of travelling with my family and knowing I have this problem is a bit scary. I've spoken to other G6 owners and most, if not all of them has had the same problem. After they had it fixed, the problem still comes back. Anybody have any advice on this issue?

Man, I am having a rattling/shaking problem in the steering column, a friend of mine said its a baring and I need to replace it. It starting happening around 40 mph and higher, and if I turn slightly it goes away!

Does this detail help you any?

Anybody have any tips/pics on this?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Man, I am having a rattling/shaking problem in the steering column, a friend of mine said its a baring and I need to replace it. It starting happening around 40 mph and higher, and if I turn slightly it goes away!

Actually quote on quote, if I turn slight left it goes away, gets kinda worse turning slight right.

·
Registered
295 Posts

gearhead,

Would you please PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN, so I can check my resources for any known issues for you?

Louis
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
63 Posts
Left wheel bearing, jack it up and check it.

Really?!?! I thought wheel baring s cause grinding?

I mean "by all means" I will check it out!!

Thanks for the help...

You would think with the G6 having so many steering issues that some recalls would start happening. Lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
Vin# 64216550

Any help would be great, thanks so much...
gearhead,

Thank you for providing the last 8-digits of your VIN. I have researched your vehicle, however, there are currently no open recalls or known steering issues as you’ve described.

I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to provide more information after doing so.

Louis
GM Customer Service

·
Registered
63 Posts
gearhead,

Thank you for providing the last 8-digits of your VIN. I have researched your vehicle, however, there are currently no open recalls or known steering issues as you’ve described.

I recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to provide more information after doing so.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Thanks for checking!

Any other tips or advice on what this may be??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts