Pontiac G6 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
droptop - I'm confused, how would a 'rear' STB go on any of our cars? Are you referring to a sway bar that attaches to the frame under the car or one similar to the front stb?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Waterfowler thank you - very informative and I retract my last statement.

Here is my question - My experience with sway bars has been you need to weld/bolt it onto the bottom side of the frame, now that I know there is the rear STB - which would perform better? My gut reaction would be the sway bar, but then again I have to admit my ignorance on the rear STB LOL

thanks for any/all help
David

·
Il Cavallo
57 Posts
@droptopdiamond-i was talking about the instalation of a rear mmi (motor mount insert) not the rear strut tower bar ... sorry about the confusion

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
Here is my question - My experience with sway bars has been you need to weld/bolt it onto the bottom side of the frame, now that I know there is the rear STB - which would perform better? My gut reaction would be the sway bar, but then again I have to admit my ignorance on the rear STB LOL
A sway bar will have much more affect on the stability of the vehicle. The sway bar reduces body roll in turns, which is the tendency of the car body to move away from the radius of the turn (aka centrifugal force). By keeping the body flatter, you can potentially negotiate turns and curves faster. However, all that force has to go somewhere, and it is usually transferred to the tires. Lower profile, stickier tires with a sway bar will get you through turns faster and with greater stability.

The sway bars will allow a certain amount of body roll as they flex. The larger the diameter the sway bars, the less give they have and thus the less the body will roll. Before you go welding an iron beam across your body, note that the less flex you have in your suspension, the less comfortable the ride will be on roads that are not perfectly smooth (i.e. pretty much any road in the US, what's up with that?). Family sedans tend to be biased a more to the comfort side; Pontiacs being a performance marque tend to be a little harsher and thus better in turns, and the GT and GXP/GTP trims will be even more stable at the expense of a rougher ride (but a heck of a lot smoother than a Jeep I can tell you from experience).

From the tires the force of the turns is transferred into the struts, and then to the body, with that force most pronounced in the front of the vehicle. The upper attachment point for the struts, known as the strut towers, will flex ever so slightly while accommodating this force. The concept of the strut bar is to reduce that motion, thus reducing some flex in the body. Again, this force has to go somewhere, and the tires take on more. As much as others want to claim otherwise, on our cars the addition of the STB makes much more of a psychological than physical impact on the handling. But that didn't stop me from installing one. [;)] A rear STB may have a measurable effect using an accelerometer, but the difference may not be so noticeable to the driver of a G6 beyond the psychological effect.

~ MattInSoCal

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Carmine - I see I misunderstood the turn you & waterfowler took so apologies on my part. I had a rear STB on my Grand Prix so I figured they were a "standard issue" mod on the G6's as well but I guess not :axechase:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a '07 G6 Sedan I4 Value Leader, and have been wondering if it would be worth while to add the strut to the front end. Seems like everyone here is happy with the upgrade, put also seems like everyone here had the V6 and Low Profile Tires with Rims... None of which I have, but I do like to drive my G6 fast and fast through the corners. I have no vibrations in the front, changing out the rotors and pads fixed the vibration I had when breaking.

I also have a odd clunk when I turn, wondering if I need new shocks.

Opinions?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thought I would chime in on this before you go jack the car up and check the steering tightness which is likely not the case. You should first and foremost check the strut top bearings. Pop the hood and get someone to listen to the top of the strut while you turn the wheels back and forth. If they are bad you will hear a quick ping or a small clunk. Let us know how you make out.

Alex

Edit: I should also mention that I have a full set of stock struts and springs for a 2006 G6 GTP Coupe, and I believe they all use the same. I installed Megan Racing coilovers and would be willing to sell them if you need a new assembly / struts. 60,000 kms on them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thank you!

Thank you for the Thread.

I just added the Racing-line Strut Tower Bar and MMI's this evening, the K&N Typhoon CAI arrived yesterday, I installed them all in about 2 hours in my garage.

.....Wow, what a overall difference in the performance and handling of the car, just with those three additions.

I have Revotec Eagle Eye Projectors and I love them, there a bit weak at super long distance, but I'm probably going to go the 6000k low/fogs route at some point. But I love the wide-panning effect of them so much. It's saved me a few times with seeing deer on the side of the road.

Quick question: would the Racing-line Grounding Wires help my G6 get better performance even if I don't have a custom sound system?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Racingline STB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Racingline STB
Thanks for the reply.
Any specific reason why the Racingline is better?

I understand fit is better on G6 with the Racingline but on Malibu it shouldn't be a problem.

I know finish is nicer on Racingline but I have always been function over form so that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me.

Is the Racingline one of a harder/thicker metal that will flex less under stress?

Does one have more attachment points than the other?

Or...
Is it simply that aftermarket is always better than OEM yo?

This is going on a car that has already seen 250+ laps at Vir and 50+ at NJMP and I'm trying to reduce alignment deflection while cornering and keep it looking as stock as possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well Im not completely sure, but I think the GM STB went on backorder a while ago. Probably a little bit harder to find now. IMO Racingline is better, but since you have a Malibu, rubbing shouldn't be an issue for you at all. If it was for the G6, there might be some rubbing on the hood with the GM STB (but you can prevent that).
Check out the link here:
Should tell you what you want to know. If not feel free to ask:
http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19494&highlight=racingline+strut+bar+review

61 - 80 of 84 Posts