Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had their intermediate steering shaft get so bad that they’d hear/feel a clunk when turning the steering wheel not moving (idling)? I have a definite clunk at idle. I jacked up the front end of the car and everything in the suspension/steering under the car is tight (control arms, ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, etc). The only movement/play I can find is located right where the steering shaft goes through the firewall at what appears to be a slip joint. You can see/feel that when you transition the wheel from left to right there is visible slop at this interface (which I believe is the source of my clunnk). You can sorta see what I’m talking about near the end of this video I took (7meg .wmv). Is this the intermediate shaft? If so, which end needs to be replaced? There is a minimal amount of grease right at this interface, but don’t see how it could be lubed any further. Perhaps this is what happens when it wears out? I’m going to get to the bottom of this myself one way or another. I’m hoping to get a copy of the GM service pages on this so I can see if it correlates.

http://www.northbendtech.com/wayne_k/g6/shaft-play.wmv

·
Registered
3 Posts
Intermediate steering shaft lubrication/fix

I have a 05 G6 GT sedan with 50k on it. It was in the shop for warranty repairs for this problem 3 times. They replaced the rack once, and lubed/repositioned the intermediate shaft the other 2 times. Now that the warranty is up I checked this out myself, a mechanic friend of mine looked this up to find out there is a service bulletin on this. The SB tells how to lube the shaft from the inside of the car--you simply loosen the bolt holding the shaft in the collar or coupling, pull the shaft up or out, apply grease to whole length and re-assemble, really easy and takes away the noise. Thinking about installing a grease fitting to make it even eaisier in the future.
You have to remove the plastic dash panel under the steering wheel for access.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing is disconnected in the video above. That is a huge no-no if you go to the extreme of the wheel... you will kill the clock spring, which in turn can fubar the horn, steering wheel controls, and airbag.

On a side note, after reviewing the intermediate shaft repair procedure, I have determined that the part in the video is the intermediate shaft and it is bad. I will be ordering/replacing this soon and I'll take some pictures along the way...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Nice that will definetly help people out.
Keep us updated.
I had a small clunk in the front right that turned out to be a tie rod and is now fixed.
but with 61,000 miles it would be good to do the lube of the steering shaft.
Also is your painted or un-painted? If its painted it should not be lubed it will make the problem worse. If it is unpainted it will be safe to lube. Pm. going to bostaddict

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes unpainted is the one you lube!! Mine actually had surface rust on the exposed part of the shaft--not sure of a quick fix on the painted except for replacement--but yes don't turn the steering wheel while dis-assembled, shouldn't need to except for slighty to re-align shaft.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A simple tube of grease from your gm Dealer will repair it for a while. there is an updated part available at your dealer for around $175.00 Installed. Also check your coolant resevoir they are loose and will make a hell of a thumping noise. Just put some rubber spacers in it to tighten it up. I've been through it all to the point I was ready to sell. Once these little issues were cleared up it is a fantastic car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You and I think a like! I drilled and threaded mine, installed a piece of tubing that I can access just by taking the plastic panel off and put a grease nipple on it. If it ever acts up again I'll just give it a squirt off grease and turn the wheel a few times. funny the big engineers couldn't figure that out, as well as all these other people on here complaining. Mcgiver it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.