Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2010 G6 with 35k miles on it in March. I am running into a lot of issues and I was wondering if these are common among G6 owners.

The first issue is the brakes, they just put on new pads and rotors about 2 weeks ago and my brakes are griding again, very rough stopping.

Second issue is transmisson, I have to literally take my foot off the gas for it to shift when I am accelerating to 45, it gets to about 45 and sits at about 2.5k RPM and doesn't shift unless I pull my foot off the pedal slightly, and then if shifts rough.

Third issue is the steering wheel seems to click sometimes when I am doing slow turns, such as in parking lots.

Are any of these issues common? I am fighting with my dealership to get the work done for free, but they're claiming I am running the car too rough if these issues are coming up which is not true since I drive this thing like a grandma since it's my first new car I ever owned.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The steering sounds like the intermediate steering shaft. You do a search on the forum and you will see quite a few people having problems with it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah, the steering sound is the Intermediate Shaft. Mine was replaced under my extended warranty for free by the dealer. I also sometimes have the transmission problem you describe - it's very very hesitant to shift gears. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find any problems. They claim it's normal

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So after taking it in 4 times within 5k miles they're still claiming nothing is wrong.

I have taken the car in 3 times just for new brakes, they squeek after a few hundred miles and it never goes away.

I am also now having problems with a strange sounding noise coming from the driver side front tire, sounds like something is "clicking" and "squeeking" at lower speeds, almost sounds like a bad wheel bearing?

I had the tranny flushed as well, it didn't help at all with the hesitant shifting. I am thinking it's just a low-quality gearbox.

Starting to think I bought a lemon lol

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have a 2010 g6 gt and just had to have my steering shaft replaced under factory warranty. My brakes are making noise now and sometimes when I put on the brakes it slows me down then it will feel like the petal will fall for a second then it's back to normal. It's really hard to explain. I haven't noticed any problem with the transmission yet. I'll pay more attention and see if it does that. My warranty ran out two days ago but after reading about all the issues I got the gmpp major guard warranty to 112,000 miles. I had actually considered trading it in, but I don't want a car payment. I'm hoping I won't have any more problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2010 g6 gt and just had to have my steering shaft replaced under factory warranty. My brakes are making noise now and sometimes when I put on the brakes it slows me down then it will feel like the petal will fall for a second then it's back to normal. It's really hard to explain. I haven't noticed any problem with the transmission yet. I'll pay more attention and see if it does that. My warranty ran out two days ago but after reading about all the issues I got the gmpp major guard warranty to 112,000 miles. I had actually considered trading it in, but I don't want a car payment. I'm hoping I won't have any more problems.
I have the same problem with the brakes, it's really strange.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Try another dealership.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My G6 experience

I bought my 2010 G6 GT with 13k miles on it in 2010. Since then it has been in the shop TEN times. Right now it is in the shop getting a new transmission at 72k miles. Luckily it came with a 100k mile warranty or I would have, literally, paid for this car twice. I've replaced the brakes 4 times in 3 years, and it vibrates a lot when applying the brakes on the interstate or at higher speeds. The gas mileage is about 25 mpg which is less than what I expected. I do love all the bells and whistles this car came with and they have given me no problem But the overall function of the vehicle has been a horrible experience and I've gone over 4 months total not being able to drive it because of all the major repairs that have been made. As soon as it comes out of the shop I am trading it in on a Toyota or Lexus.

-TheRayPack
2010 G6 GT

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi raypack

I am so sorry that you have had such a negative experience with your G6. Please send me a message if you have any questions of if there is anything that I can do to assist you.

Jackie
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
28 Posts
Interesting...
I wonder if Jackie still checks in on a regular basis. :D

I just bought a 2010 GT, about a month ago. 41K on the odo.
The first thing I noticed was that the brakes rumbled when trying to stop in any kind of a quick manner.
I bought Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic brake pads. Same as I install on all of my cars. (Took less than a half hour to do both front wheels. Some of the easiest brakes I have ever done.) The rumble is essentially gone. Tires can also contribute a lot to noise, as I discovered. I replaced the half worn Hankooks with some Kumhos. Muuuuch better.
I'll also mention that the Wagner pads have almost 1.5 times as much pad area as the originals. Haven't figured out what that is about, but I'm certainly not complaining.

I have a little bit of a rumble when I turn the wheel, but it's not objectionable. Barely noticeable. (I just sold a 2004 Trailblazer that did about the same thing, since the day we drove it off the dealer's lot.)

My tranny shifts fine. I have no complaints. (Were you talking about the 3-4 shift? Sometimes GM automatics will hesitate before they upshift. You might even be feeling (or not feeling) the torque converter lockup.)

Otherwise... I've had the TC/ESC light come on 3-4 times, and then go right back out. Hasn't done it since I replaced the wheels/tires, though. Maybe it's picky about tire diameter if they wear unevenly.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the car. Possibly because I can take care of all the "nickel 'n' dime" stuff myself, instead of being at the mercy of the stealerships. (The only dealers I hate worse than GM dealers are Dodge dealers, but that's a whole 'nother topic.)

I wish that GM still made Pontiacs. I've been a Pontiac fan since I bought my first Fiero, new, in 1985. (I'm 57, by the way.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I picked my G6 up from the mechanic for the last time

Hello, Jackie.
Thanks for the reply. I picked my G6 up from the mechanic in August of last year. Turns out, the transmission pretty much ate itself. Then when I drove it out of the lot of the mechanic shop, it went about 1/2 mile down the road and broke down again. I had to have it towed back to the mechanic, yet again. While it was being worked on I shopped around and found a Lexus RX 330 for a great price. As soon as my G6 was driveable again I drove it from the mechanic, straight to the Lexus dealership and traded it in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The Solstice could be the Fiero II.
Sorry. With all due respect, No. Not IMHO.

The Fiero people have (had?) been clamoring for a new Fiero, almost since the original was killed. (Killed in the typical GM fashion - i.e., the year after they finally got all the bugs and design flaws worked out.)
When the Solstice was on the drawing boards, all the forums were abuzz with the news of the new two-seater. One post, from some GM executive (maybe even Lutz) was even directed squarely at the Fiero crowd. Paraphrased, "You guys are going to like this..."

Welllll... Not so much. The Fiero has more interior room and more storage space than the Solstice ever thought about. A Fiero can hold a full size suitcase in it's rear storage compartment, with room for more. A Solstice is pretty much maxed out by a purse and a carton of cigarettes.

And the main problem... The engine is in the wrong place.
Give me a transverse V6 (or V8, in my case) behind the two seats, and I'll be a happy camper. (Longitudinal mounting would be okay too, but GM already has a wealth of transverse power plants. No sense in reinventing the wheel in that regard.) And FFS... give it a proper suspension, out of the gate, instead of raiding the parts bins like they did the first time.

Please don't misunderstand... The Solstice is a beautiful car.
I have my own pet peeves with the styling, but those are my own preferences, so they don't count.
I might have even bought one at one time, had I been in the market.

But it certainly is not a Fiero.
If a new Fiero were available, I'd likely buy one tomorrow. Just because.

My G6? It does what I need it to do. Brilliantly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry. With all due respect, No. Not IMHO.

The Fiero people have (had?) been clamoring for a new Fiero, almost since the original was killed. (Killed in the typical GM fashion - i.e., the year after they finally got all the bugs and design flaws worked out.)
When the Solstice was on the drawing boards, all the forums were abuzz with the news of the new two-seater. One post, from some GM executive (maybe even Lutz) was even directed squarely at the Fiero crowd. Paraphrased, "You guys are going to like this..."

Welllll... Not so much. The Fiero has more interior room and more storage space than the Solstice ever thought about. A Fiero can hold a full size suitcase in it's rear storage compartment, with room for more. A Solstice is pretty much maxed out by a purse and a carton of cigarettes.

And the main problem... The engine is in the wrong place.
Give me a transverse V6 (or V8, in my case) behind the two seats, and I'll be a happy camper. (Longitudinal mounting would be okay too, but GM already has a wealth of transverse power plants. No sense in reinventing the wheel in that regard.) And FFS... give it a proper suspension, out of the gate, instead of raiding the parts bins like they did the first time.

Please don't misunderstand... The Solstice is a beautiful car.
I have my own pet peeves with the styling, but those are my own preferences, so they don't count.
I might have even bought one at one time, had I been in the market.

But it certainly is not a Fiero.
If a new Fiero were available, I'd likely buy one tomorrow. Just because.
You're right the Solstice is no Fiero, it's a MUCH better car!

I like both cars but I'm sure most engineers will tell you the Solstice was a better car as far as function and design.

I always thought Pontiac borrowed the Triumph TR7 look when they made the Fiero.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You're right the Solstice is no Fiero, it's a MUCH better car!

I like both cars but I'm sure most engineers will tell you the Solstice was a better car as far as function and design.

I always thought Pontiac borrowed the Triumph TR7 look when they made the Fiero.
The Solstice should be a much better car. It had the benefit of an additional 20 years of chassis, engine, and tire development. It's performance and handling numbers will bear that out. No question.
The engine is still in the wrong place. :D

Function? I stand by my previous statement. Two people could not go on an extended vacation in a Solstice. There just isn't room for anything, other than two warm bodies. It was a big complaint when the car was introduced, and is no less true, now. It's not even a decent grocery getter unless you're by yourself.
Hell... Even my 97 Miata (which has less room than the Fiero) does better than that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts