Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a set of HIDs on my 06. I've had HIDs on other cars, so I know how they operate and wire up. They worked fine for awhile, now my driver side won't come on. Checked the fuse and it was blown. Replaced it with higher and won't blow, but still won't come on. Do I need a relay harness? I thought those were only needed of not plug and play?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
First of all, you should never replace a fuse with one of a higher value, unless you know the wiring can handle more current. Try taking the ballast from the passenger side and see if it will work on the drivers side. If it does, your ballast is likely shot. The relay harness is used to draw power directly off the battery. It ensures there is adequate power for start up and since the DRL circuit runs on less power, it provides the proper power to keep the lights running.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's raining right now, so it will have to wait. I do know both bulbs work as I have put each on the passenger side ballast and it works. I'll swap the other ballast to see if it works on the passenger side wiring.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
130 Posts
You need a relay harness. I had the same issue with mine. My regular lights, high beams are 6K 55W HIDs and my fogs are 6K 35W HIDs. IF you run a 55W kit you definitely need a relay harness. Most 35W kits don't need them. Also depending how you lay out your wiring, excessive heat can cause the fuse to burn out...I was having trouble with mine, kept flickering or just shutting off, then i noticed the fuse was melted. Where i had it located, it was too close to the engine, and the heat caused it to melt. I layed out my wiring it neatly and away from anything that will cause obstructions/heat. Hope this helps with your situation. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts