Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about tinting my tails this weekend, has anyone had any trouble with the police about them being tinted. cops around here dont seem to care too much about modding but you never know. Was just curious if anyone has been pulled over for em??

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Totally depended on your area and the time of the month. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised to be pulled over randomly for the tinted tails. The fine tends to be hefty too (as far as I've heard). There is not any clarification on tinting tails so you are pretty much at the mercy of the officer.

I'd rather not get a ticket for it so I've decided to keep mine stock. Plus, I hate the look of tinted tails unless you do it just right for a black car.

·
07 Black GT Vert ♥
445 Posts
Ohio Revised Code» Title [45] XLV MOTOR VEHICLES - AERONAUTICS - WATERCRAFT» Chapter 4513: TRAFFIC LAWS - EQUIPMENT; LOADS

4513.071 Stop light
(A) "...stop lights when actuated shall emit a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear..."

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513.071

This next one could pose a problem.

4513.06 Red reflectors required.
(A) "...maintained as to be visible at night from all distances within three hundred feet to fifty feet from such vehicle..."

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4513.06

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i dont plan on making it very dark, probably just one coat of it, and then a heavy clear, sand and polish :) all thanks to waterfowler for his detailed instructions.

·
Registered
911 Posts
mine are pretty much black haha i put maybe about 4 or 5 coats on with some clear coat and i've gotten pulled over for speeding at least 3 times since. although i flash a PBA card, no officer has said anything about the taillights nor have i been pulled over JUST for the tail lights

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fair enough haha

·
07 Black GT Vert ♥
445 Posts
Are there any after market sources where you can by a set of already tinted tails so you can keep the originals just in case?
I want mine to be very dark!

·
Registered
911 Posts
you can do fly eyes tint i believe that is jsut a film you apply by hand or you can use the vht nightshades like i did and wetsand them down if you ever want to take them off...if you know you'll be doin that it might be easier and less work in the future if you use the fly eyes

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I heard that the fly eyes tint was a PITA to put on. you do make a good point tho, if you wanted to be able to take it off easier at a later time the fly eyes would prolly be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've seen cars around here with super dark tail lights and headlights drive by cops and nothing happen but maybe just didnt see never know haha

·
Registered
916 Posts
I used to have tinted tails actually redid them around 3 times with clear and polishing and the hole works it a PITA but it looks good... But i wound up getting rid of them all together when an old guy followed me and said he couldn't see me brake.(daytime) Now normally i would be like "jerk who cares"
But that's who would be hitting me LOL

Now im not saying to not tint them but if i didn't drive with my 5 year old son 50% of the time in in my car i would have them pitch black LOL but i would say to be safe do 1-2 light coats at a time even waiting a day or two in between. Just to see how it looks.
With the VHT night shades medium is about as dark as i would go.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I used to have tinted tails actually redid them around 3 times with clear and polishing and the hole works it a PITA but it looks good... But i wound up getting rid of them all together when an old guy followed me and said he couldn't see me brake.(daytime) Now normally i would be like "jerk who cares"
But that's who would be hitting me LOL

Now im not saying to not tint them but if i didn't drive with my 5 year old son 50% of the time in in my car i would have them pitch black LOL but i would say to be safe do 1-2 light coats at a time even waiting a day or two in between. Just to see how it looks.
With the VHT night shades medium is about as dark as i would go.
Totally understandable about the kid. Last thing you want is someone hitting you when you have your kid with you . I dont have any kids yet so i'm in the clear in that department but I did only plan on doing like 1 light coat to just make em a little darker...maybe 2.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Also forgot to mention is that Night shades tends to lighten after a couple days to. Once the paint finishes curing.
a couple coats shouldnt be bad..
I still want my leds tails tinted, But led is worse than regular bulbs for seing through.

And cops around me seem to not care about tint i never had a problem once with any of my stuff.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,352 Posts
I never have issues with them....cause they cant catch me!!!

MMMUUAAAHHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

1 - 20 of 27 Posts