Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Gang,
I've been goggling the no start issue on my friends '06 G6.I've read until my eyes started getting crossed
I've tried the 30 minute off and wait then on again for 10 minutes 3X but still no start- I tried a different key
The lock and car symbol is on the dash- I've disconnected the battery many times and still no crank.
I turn on the key and used a jumper to the solenoid on the starter
it will start but dies after 3 seconds.
I've cleaned the connections on the battery- starter
I've ordered a new ignition switch and it should be here this week.
We are 6 hours from the closest GM dealer- We called the dealer who they bought the car from (Carter GM-Vancouver BC area)twice but never got a call back.

Should I be able to jump the 30 to 87 starter relay and get the starter to spin?

I'm ready to read more if anybody has any suggestions
thanks
Hank

· Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Do you have access to a scanner of reading Enhanced GM codes? These are typically scanners that can also read SRS and ABS codes, in addition to typical check engine codes.
Only reason I ask is because there should be a code stored in the BCM to point you in the right direction as to why it's locking you out. It definitely sounds like a security lockout issue. I've read that battery voltage is pretty important during that reset procedure, on older GM's I've always done it with a charger on the battery. As for systems in the G6 I'm not 100% on.

Jumping the starter will bypass the security, but the computer will see it and cut ignition, it also likely doesn't even cycle the fuel pump.

Does the vehicle have any kind of aftermarket remote start system on it?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Cruisin G6,
I got no codes with the OTC (Bosch)3210 scanner we have
I've had a charger on 2 amps when doing all the tests and battery reads 12.6 with out the charger
I found a Pass Time PTC-2 hooked up to the pink wires on the ignition switch- only 3 wires (out of 5) were used + and - and the wire to the pink wire. I disconnected the wire to the pink to see if that made any difference- still no crank
No remote.

under the hood in the fuse relay box
on the starter relay I should be able to jump 30 and 87 and get the starter to spin is that correct?
thanks for the help
Hank

· Premium Member
4,231 Posts
The pink wire is the ignition wire off the ignition switch.
The passtime ptc-2 looks to be a GPS unit finance companies can use. Apparently it can allow them the ability to prevent the vehicle from the starting in the event of a non-payment.
During installs of the units that act as an immobilizer they often cut a factory wire and wire the unit between it, so it can interrupt the signal and shut down the vehicle.

From what I keep reading online, it's apparently illegal to remove this device yourself. But what I can't find is when the vehicle is paid off, there's no mention of the device needing to be removed or disabled.
While I do have plenty of remote start/alarm experience, I've never worked with GPS systems that also have an immobilizer. I'm sure the wiring is pretty standard but I can't be 100% on what's connected where or how to remove it.
It could be from previous fleet vehicle use, finance/repo use... who knows.

As for the relay I believe you are correct as 85 and 86 should be the pins that energize the coil to activate the relay. You can use a meter with continuity to check between the starter solenoid wire and the pin in the fusebox for the relay to be absolutely sure you're on the right path. Then double check the other end is getting battery voltage, which it sounds like it is.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm still at it .
I installed a new ignition switch and tried to get the key in sync the BCM-
I found a description on how to do the key on for 8-15 minutes, wait 10 seconds and repeat 2 more times (X2)but the locked car light has not changed and it still will not start. In the key on and off description they said that the light would go out when the BCM learned the code of the key.

Any idea what the black box just above the ignition switch is? Is that what reads the Key for starting?
I don't mind trying to read the wires/connections with my meter, is there somewhere to find out what would be my next thing to check out.
Thanks again
Hank

· Premium Member
4,231 Posts
I'm not sure what you'd find on those wires, but I think that box is part of the security aspect of the ignition.
I know GM changed their security systems in 2007, but yours being a 2006 should still work using that older method with the key on for 10 mintues at a time, 3 times.
At this point all I can think of is to try and program the key via a TechII scanner, Unfortunately that's a scanner that mainly dealers only carry. Some independent shops may have it, but it's a long shot.

Some hardware stores and locksmiths have the equipment to program keys as well. Maybe a locksmith local to you has more knowledge on this particular situation.

· Registered
1 Posts
Howdy Gang,
I've been goggling the no start issue on my friends '06 G6.I've read until my eyes started getting crossed
I've tried the 30 minute off and wait then on again for 10 minutes 3X but still no start- I tried a different key
The lock and car symbol is on the dash- I've disconnected the battery many times and still no crank.
I turn on the key and used a jumper to the solenoid on the starter
it will start but dies after 3 seconds.
I've cleaned the connections on the battery- starter
I've ordered a new ignition switch and it should be here this week.
We are 6 hours from the closest GM dealer- We called the dealer who they bought the car from (Carter GM-Vancouver BC area)twice but never got a call back.

Should I be able to jump the 30 to 87 starter relay and get the starter to spin?

I'm ready to read more if anybody has any suggestions
thanks
Hank
Did you ever figure out the issue? I have the same problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts