Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought an '06 G6 sedan with approx. 50k miles (75,000km) I have the service record but it doesn't list any routine maintainence done.

I've been reading the forums until my eyes are sore. I've found a lot of helpful topics regarding routine maintainence so I will be keeping a schedule from this point on.

However, I have no idea what was previously, or recently done. Can someone please give me an idea as to what I should do _now_? Keep in mind that I am now broke so only the absolute necessary stuff would be helpful.

Oil Life is approx. 73% (I don't know if the car has been running Synthetic, any way I can tell? I've checked the oil and it's very light color and thin, could be synthetic?) I plan on using Mobil1 oil from now on...

The brakes seem good as far as I can tell from looking at the pads. It also came with 4 brand new Dunlop SP60's (which I'm very happy with)

I was considering a tranny fluid change but read that's not necessary til around 100k. What about a coolant flush?

I just want to keep my baby in top shape. Thanks for any suggestions..

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Hi all,

I just bought an '06 G6 sedan with approx. 50k miles (75,000km) I have the service record but it doesn't list any routine maintainence done.

I've been reading the forums until my eyes are sore. I've found a lot of helpful topics regarding routine maintainence so I will be keeping a schedule from this point on.

However, I have no idea what was previously, or recently done. Can someone please give me an idea as to what I should do _now_? Keep in mind that I am now broke so only the absolute necessary stuff would be helpful.

Oil Life is approx. 73% (I don't know if the car has been running Synthetic, any way I can tell? I've checked the oil and it's very light color and thin, could be synthetic?) I plan on using Mobil1 oil from now on...

The brakes seem good as far as I can tell from looking at the pads. It also came with 4 brand new Dunlop SP60's (which I'm very happy with)

I was considering a tranny fluid change but read that's not necessary til around 100k. What about a coolant flush?

I just want to keep my baby in top shape. Thanks for any suggestions..

Coolant is good for 150,000 MI or 5 Years...

Tranny fluid needs changed at 50K but only under certain circumstances, you probably can go without unless the car has jerky shifting or whatnot. If you have a 3.5 (V6 base, GT) you do not need to change it under certain circumstances...saw it on the other G6 forum and they got it from mygmlink.com

If you're broke I don't think running synthetic is the cheapest route to go :p...I don't think there is too much other maintainance that I can think of this point but I'm at work and my brain is shot

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really appreciate your reply.

I have read all the topics regarding tranny/coolant etc. This is only my second vehicle and I did all the regular maintainence myself on my Buick. But it was an older vehicle so I am not familiar with these newer rides.

I called around on an oil change with synthetic and they said about $100 :O Looks like I'll have to hold off on that for now.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya Lampoon. Sale goes on tomorrow for Mobil1 4.4qt. I picked up a Fram synthetic filter today. It looks to be a good quality filter.

Cheers.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you are used to working on older vehicles then the new cars are a piece of cake. Maintenance have been greatly simplified for regular routine items and anything more complicated you can't do it yourself anyway.

I would change or check all the fluids and bring all maintenance items up to date. With your mileage and unknown history I would not use synthetic oil because they are simply not worth it IMO. I maybe biased because so far I have never ran into any oil related problem with using just regular motor oil, even though some of my cars had over 200k miles of hard driving. So to me, synthetic oil is a complete waste of money, especially if you are tight on cash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts