Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I picked up a '07 GTP sedan with bad timing chains and no power steering when it warmed up for $2k. 138,000 miles.
Owner didn't want to pay the $2k bill the dealer wanted to repair the timing chains and obviously trade in value sucked because of check engine light and cam timing code.
Car is in immaculate shape. I have an Auto Tech hobby (former career as an Auto and Diesel Tech) so blew the car apart in my garage for 3 months. I completely went through it replacing the timing chains, chain tensioners, W/P, belt, pulleys, P/S pump, struts, shocks, brakes, rotors, rebuilt the calipers, tires, sway bar links etc, etc, etc.
Basically refurbished entire car. I have stuck about $2k back into it. But I must say this is a fun and powerful little car to cruise around in. I make lots of out of state trips and was looking for a good daily driver and this girl fits the bill perfect. Too bad they had a short run and Pontiac got flushed. They are awesome little cars, especially with all the boxes checked like this one was spec'd.
Image1459478563.469819.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Old far...er...tinkerer..
303 Posts
I picked up a '07 GTP sedan with bad timing chains and no power steering when it warmed up for $2k.
(snip)
I completely went through it replacing the timing chains, chain tensioners, W/P, belt, pulleys, P/S pump, struts, shocks, brakes, rotors, rebuilt the calipers, tires, sway bar links etc, etc, etc.
Kudos on your project. It's looking good!

I'm in the process of refurbing my 07 G6 (altho it's not in as bad a shape as yours was). I put in a rack and a new p/s pump. How did you handle getting the whining out? Did you pull a vacuum on the p/s pump? If so, what tools did you need? In particular, how'd you mate the vacuum pump to the p/s pump? Thanks.

Doug

·
Registered
27 Posts
My GTP has a 3.6 DOHC. Not sure what engine your G6 has, it may have a different PS system? The PS pump is bolted to the block below #1 bank (rear or firewall side) on my unit and it was a pain in the ass to change. It was easier since I had the top of the engine undressed and front cover removed for timing chain replacement.
Anyway I did not have any trouble bleeding my system. I had the front jacked off the ground. I filled the system and let it idle with the cover off the reservoir. I shut it off periodically to let the air rise out of the reservoir. Then I turned wheels lock to lock several times (with tires off Ground still) and system bled out completely with no addition of vacuum or funnel extension. Maybe I got lucky? I didn't change rack so I didn't have half the air to bleed as you had with changing both components.
Good luck!

Ps. Did find my relief valve in pump was score badly causing pressure loss when it heated up.

·
303 Posts
My GTP has a 3.6 DOHC. Not sure what engine your G6 has, it may have a different PS system? The PS pump is bolted to the block below #1 bank (rear or firewall side) on my unit and it was a pain in the ass to change. It was easier since I had the top of the engine undressed and front cover removed for timing chain replacement.
Anyway I did not have any trouble bleeding my system. I had the front jacked off the ground. I filled the system and let it idle with the cover off the reservoir. I shut it off periodically to let the air rise out of the reservoir. Then I turned wheels lock to lock several times (with tires off Ground still) and system bled out completely with no addition of vacuum or funnel extension. Maybe I got lucky? I didn't change rack so I didn't have half the air to bleed as you had with changing both components.
Good luck!

Ps. Did find my relief valve in pump was score badly causing pressure loss when it heated up.
Thanks for your detailed reply !

I did the lock-to-lock thing many times, but I'm still getting the whining.

The manuals don't call for vacuum bleeding, but the instructions that came with the rack do. However, I'm not able to find any tools specific to the task. I can get a vacuum pump loaner at the parts store, but mating it to the power steering pump is a stumbling block.

I'm hoping the whining works itself out. But I'll keep looking for a tool, JIC.

BTW, I have the 3.5L motor. The p/s pump is on top so it's easy to get at. (OTOH, my 3.8L Lumina has the pump where yours is. So far, I've never had to work on it, knock wood.)

Doug

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Doug, if you need to go the route of vacuum bleeding... I have been thinking about how I would do it. Not sure what tools you have at your disposal, but I would try and use an airless coolant fill (air lift) which typically has an expandable rubber stopper adapter to fit different coolant reservoir diameters. As long as the PS reservoir isn't too full I would try and adapt the coolant fill adapter to fit the PS reservoir and use it to pull a vacuum and run and exercise the system. Actually I think this would work quite well.
Another thought would be to use a vacuum fluid extractor (mightyVac) or even a plain old vacuum pump with a reservoir installed online to catch any overflowing PS fluid.

I guess the hard part, and problem you are most likely looking to solve would be how the hell to adapt the vacuum source to the PS reservoir.
Maybe obtain a spare reservoir cover and you could thread and glue a fitting into it to adapt to different connections. This would be a good tool to have after one builds it. There is probably something similar to this available commercial as well, just as they make covers for master cylinders to pressure bleed brake systems. I have not checked into it.

Best of luck.
~Shawn.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Can anyone provide info on aftermarket tuners for the 3.6? This is s fun engine and combined with the tapshift 6 spd it is s blast to drive (for a cheap car). Would like to tune it for premium fuel. Does anyone have advice besides having s custom dyno gunr? Something plug'n play out of the box?

·
303 Posts
Maybe obtain a spare reservoir cover and you could thread and glue a fitting into it to adapt to different connections.
Thanks for your reply, Shawn. Good ideas !

I was thinking about drilling a hole in a spare cap and trying that. For now, I'm in hold mode. I need to replace the oil pan gasket this week. After that I'll drive it a couple days and see if the p/s system out-gasses itself, or if a vacuum bleeding is still necessary.

I'll post an update then.

Doug

·
303 Posts
Can anyone provide info on aftermarket tuners for the 3.6? This is s fun engine and combined with the tapshift 6 spd it is s blast to drive (for a cheap car). Would like to tune it for premium fuel. Does anyone have advice besides having s custom dyno gunr? Something plug'n play out of the box?
I can't offer much advice in the way of tuning. But generally speaking, most computer controlled engines attempt to advance the timing as far as possible without causing knocking (pre-ignition). So, if you put in higher octane gas, as I understand it, the engine controller should advance the timing to take advantage of it. That is, you shouldn't need any special tuning for 93 octane.

That said, I know tuning can still tap additional horsepower, albeit at the expense of fuel mileage or emissions (or long term engine life).

Doug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts