Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here on the forum as I just purchased a 2008 G6 Sedan /w V6. I was big into the old j-body.org forums when I had my sunfires back in the day, so I'm glad to see there is a nice looking forum for G6 owners.

So, since it literally snowed the night I bought my car, I dont plan on doing anything outside the car until the spring now.

I've always made putting in a new head unit a priority when I get a new car.....but as we know, the G6 is a little tricky to do so...

I'd like it to look as 'factory' as possible.....so I think going with a Double-Din headunit, and buying the module that keeps all the chimes,signals,etc.. (not the metra unit because it doesnt match and looks cheap IMO) and I'm looking at the JVC KW-XR810 unit that apparently has 30,000 color choices.....hopefully so that it can match the Pontiac interior as it was designed to do....

Has anyone seen this deck in person ? or better yet, have some pics ??

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here on the forum as I just purchased a 2008 G6 Sedan /w V6. I was big into the old j-body.org forums when I had my sunfires back in the day, so I'm glad to see there is a nice looking forum for G6 owners.

So, since it literally snowed the night I bought my car, I dont plan on doing anything outside the car until the spring now.

I've always made putting in a new head unit a priority when I get a new car.....but as we know, the G6 is a little tricky to do so...

I'd like it to look as 'factory' as possible.....so I think going with a Double-Din headunit, and buying the module that keeps all the chimes,signals,etc.. (not the metra unit because it doesnt match and looks cheap IMO) and I'm looking at the JVC KW-XR810 unit that apparently has 30,000 color choices.....hopefully so that it can match the Pontiac interior as it was designed to do....

Has anyone seen this deck in person ? or better yet, have some pics ??
I looked it up and if you are just getting that for the color, a lot of the radios have different color settings. I personally like the pioneer avh 4200. You can change the color to red and looks factory. Everyone that looks at my car says it looks like it came with the car. You can get it this week for 375 on a popular website.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I looked it up and if you are just getting that for the color, a lot of the radios have different color settings. I personally like the pioneer avh 4200. You can change the color to red and looks factory. Everyone that looks at my car says it looks like it came with the car. You can get it this week for 375 on a popular website.
Do you have any pics of it at night ? (with colors set to match)

Also, I see it has rear USB ports.....the main thing I want from a HU is to be able to read from a USB key ..

How does it work when the port is on the back? is it a cable connected to the back, with a usb port on the end ?

Oh, and did you go with the Metra kit in the glove box ? or did u use the OS-311b adapter ??

·
Registered
130 Posts
Do you have any pics of it at night ? (with colors set to match)

Also, I see it has rear USB ports.....the main thing I want from a HU is to be able to read from a USB key ..

How does it work when the port is on the back? is it a cable connected to the back, with a usb port on the end ?

Oh, and did you go with the Metra kit in the glove box ? or did u use the OS-311b adapter ??
I will go take a pic in just a sec. The HU comes with a usb ext. cable. I pluged my iphone cord into it. You can use a jump drive or what ever. It has SD card slot also. It also has a front aux if you tilt the radio screen. I went with the metra kit. My installer put it behind a panel close to the gas pedal. That panel has velcro on it and can be taken off if I need to get to it.

·
2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
Pioneer DD's are the way to go IMO
I have the AVH-4100 and love it.
the red matches very good

I love this headunit because i have the usb extension going into my glove box where i have my ipod plugged in.
and i can control my ipod from the headunits touch screen.
It loads fairly quick too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pioneer DD's are the way to go IMO
I have the AVH-4100 and love it.
the red matches very good

Looks really good !

I'll for sure consider another Pioneer...it just sucks that I gotta spend an extra $200 on the OS-311b or metra kit.

Do any of you guys regret not having the DIC info ? I mean, I dont see anything great about it that I'd miss - Maybe oil life and tire pressure ? either way Ive been driving for 12 years and did OK without that info...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Looks really good !

I'll for sure consider another Pioneer...it just sucks that I gotta spend an extra $200 on the OS-311b or metra kit.

Do any of you guys regret not having the DIC info ? I mean, I dont see anything great about it that I'd miss - Maybe oil life and tire pressure ? either way Ive been driving for 12 years and did OK without that info...
I still have the DIC under the panel I took a picture of above right by the gas pedal. Look in your owners manual, it does a lot more than you think thats the only reason I got the metra kit. Where I got mine from they gave you all the install stuff like DD kit, anntena, and also half off the metra kit so it will only be like 94 bucks! Plus its 125 dollars less than what I paid for this week only (black friday deal but its all week). I was mad when I saw it because I have only had mine 2 months now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have that exact radio in my g6!!

i literally bought the exact radio off crutchfield for my g6. it matches perfectly color and everything. the bluetooth connects everytime i turn the car on and i never have to press a button the only thing is that you need a 100 dollar transfer thing to make your factory chimes and the onstar still work. otherwise its a great headunit. :)

ill get some pictures tomorrow. i just spent all day putting four new speakers in mine.
alpine spr 69-c and alpine spr 17-c.
somehow no bass is coming from 3 of them but the drivers side one works fine.....??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts