Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Anyone know exactly how much HP is gained by adding a K&N? Because even if its only 3-5 HP, the $58 price tag seems worth it to me to have a superior air filter, I mean how much is a top of the life Fram? $20, $25? Might as well spend a bit more and get a MUCH better filter.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK so if im installing a new K&N filter (33-2315) do i have to disconnect the batt to reset the cars computer? Also im hearing that the oil from K&N filters can damage some sensor...HELP! Want the facts before i drop $50 on this filter. I HATE seeing the check engine light! :eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I called K&N and they told me that if your only installing a drop in filter and not a new air intake you shouldnt need to reset the cars computer. She also said that after extensive testing there is no proof whatsoever that the oil used in K&N filters (which is only about 1 oz) messes up the cars air flow sensor. That being said I think ill take the plunge, drop the $50 and maybe get 3-5 HP more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I bought mine today, well ordered it anyway, it should be in this comming Wed. I just couldnt resist, I paid $43 at Kragen using thier price matching policy AND they had a coupon for a free cleaner/recharge kit with the purchase of any K&N filter. Couldnt say no. :eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah we'll see what happens, worst comes to worst I take it out and pop the old one back in. I have talked to several people with GM cars/trucks who have been nothing but happy with them. Not one of them had a situation with the check engine light comming on except one person i talked to who installed an air intake and not just the drop in filter. And even if that were to happen im hoping disconnecting the cars batt for a few hours will reset it and take care of it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
mphred said:
I'm sure that you will be happy with the K & N. The one in my P914 works fine (and no ecu to worry about). Curious as to any performance gains- beware of the fresh oil change/car wash phenomenon where the owner senses his car is running better & stronger because he sunk some $$$ into his car. I swear my cars run better when they are cleaned and detailed, but I know it's just a subjective (and silly) case of wishful thinking. If you really notice a performance improvement, I'd definitely consider paying what you spent on your K & N filter.
Well the people at K&N swear ill see an increase of 3-5 HP, but i'll be able to tell. Yeah i know exactly what your talking about, you have to be carefull when you wash your car, add a fuel injector cleaner ect. becasue its for the most part in your head, you want an increse in power so much that you start to convince yourself its happening. Like after i put in a fuel injector cleaner in im like "yeah, see can you feel that increase in acceleration?" and my wife looks at me like...ummm no. And like I said, for the price I paid PLUS a free cleaner/charger kit, I was hooked in.
PS just print out the price from Amazon.com (who have the filter for the cheapest ive found) use it at your local kragen to do a price match, and mention the free kit to them, its good until the 18th of OCT I believe.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK Had my K&N in now for about 2 weeks and I have to say that you can honestly feel a differance in acceleration. I wouldnt be surprised to find out if i was in fact getting an extra 3-4 HP becasue I can feel the differance in the 0-30 range and especially in the midrange 30-50 MPH range. This is my 3rd pontiac (had a 86 TA and a 92 firebird) and i can honestly say that pontiac cars, or at least my cars lacked mid-range power, with the K&N filter the midrange power is increased for sure, you can feel it going from 30-50 and there is no drag whatsoever! Trust me, for $45 this is a simple mod everyone should have! Im not a big mod guy but Im seriously considering a K&N intake now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.