Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if this air intake makes the CEL turn on?
I have a 2005 V6 3500.....I do know some air intakes make the G6 CEL turn on and you need to tune it, but i want to know if this K&N doesn't do that, just plug and play like the crab intake system, but i personally don't like to logo and that ugly crab on their lol it's too tacky i think lol

Anyone help me out lol please!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope it doesn't, i don't wanna spend almost $300 then got to get it tuned. But since you said i can take the crab off i might just go with that. A lot of people have told me it's a good intake with good hp and gas mileage gains.

·
beeeeeeefy
883 Posts
I hope it doesn't, i don't wanna spend almost $300 then got to get it tuned. But since you said i can take the crab off i might just go with that. A lot of people have told me it's a good intake with good hp and gas mileage gains.
CEL's are normally thrown on the 2.4L engine.. I dont recall seeing anyone on here with that issue with the 3.5 and up... There truely isnt much difference in the intakes besides the heat sheild K&N uses which blows compared to the crabs heatsheild... ohh and its made in america by 1 of our finest (LAMPOON), im not sure about K&N but i can only imagine that it gets shipped out of the country 4 times to get all its "made in china" stamps...and I do believe the crab logo is only put on if you want it on... If you dont like the decal, DONT USE IT.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not to hijack this post, but I was told by one of my friends that the polished pipe that you get with the CRAB will heat up due to being by the engine and will decrease HP along with MPG. Would it be better to go with the K&N intake instead of the CRAB intake and just buy the CRAB box? I personally like the chrome on the pipe, but if it decrease what I am installing it to do then whats the point. Keep in mind guys I am a Computer Modeler and I work at a restaurant so I have little car exp lol. :confused:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not to hijack this post, but I was told by one of my friends that the polished pipe that you get with the CRAB will heat up due to being by the engine and will decrease HP along with MPG. Would it be better to go with the K&N intake instead of the CRAB intake and just buy the CRAB box? I personally like the chrome on the pipe, but if it decrease what I am installing it to do then whats the point. Keep in mind guys I am a Computer Modeler and I work at a restaurant so I have little car exp lol. :confused:
I believe something similar to this was just brought up on the other site.... basically the air is moving so fast the temperature of the pipe will not affect it in any way.

For reference http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22714&highlight=wrap+cai

·
Registered
474 Posts
How fast is the air moving through the intake, and the fp? (obviously varies on throttle, but at WOT lets say)

·
Registered
25 Posts

·
Legend
782 Posts
Is there any CAI that you can get for the 2.4L with out getting a tune and the CEL not coming on? or do i pretty much have to get a tune in order for me not to get a CEL.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I believe Injen makes an intake for the 2.4. It's expensive, But because it is the same size around the MAF as the stock intake it shouldn't through a CEL

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
Is there any CAI that you can get for the 2.4L with out getting a tune and the CEL not coming on? or do i pretty much have to get a tune in order for me not to get a CEL.
There is an insert of some kind in the Injen that chokes down the air to that of stock level so
there is no issue. Of course that makes you wonder why anyone would buy one
if it is altered to be the same as your stocker.

The 2.4 will have issues without a tune to adjust for it.

·
Legend
782 Posts
Thanks. And yeah that is pretty useless unless your just going for looks. How much does one of them run out of curiosity?

Sent from my HTC Inspire using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
163 Posts
. basically the air is moving so fast the temperature of the pipe will not affect it in any way.
[/url]
Not true. Air as a fluid will contact more surface area of it's container when it moves faster. To move past bends it's forced to the outside and closer to a heat source. Where you succeed in less heat transfer is by pipe positioning and how well it's isolated from heat sources. Air has a better chance to remove heat from the pipe the faster it flows through it.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
There is an insert of some kind in the Injen that chokes down the air to that of stock level so
there is no issue. Of course that makes you wonder why anyone would buy one
if it is altered to be the same as your stocker.

The 2.4 will have issues without a tune to adjust for it.
When I made the insert for my intake, before my tune. It didn't really do much to performance. I only saw improvements in responsiveness and MPG. and it sounded FANTASTIC!

Still a crap-ton better then stock, even if part of it is stock sized.

·
Legend
782 Posts
When I made the insert for my intake, before my tune. It didn't really do much to performance. I only saw improvements in responsiveness and MPG. and it sounded FANTASTIC!

Still a crap-ton better then stock, even if part of it is stock sized.
What did you make the insert out of? And what were the dimensions of it?

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts