Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
how do you reprogram the original key fob for 2007 g6 3.5? I have the original one here but not sure if there is a way to open it to replace the battery or a simple way to program it to the car. Do you have to reprogram it everytime the car dies and what is the universal amazon remote or key fobs that work great with 2007 g6 or what does everyone else use. Ive seen some for 15$ or 30$ for a pair.

The one i have here is GM/L:1525203 Batt CR2032

is that what everyone else has from the factory? It worked back in 2008 when the car was purchased but it is now 2022.

found out the problem the battery tangs were broken.

so what is cheapest best replacement key fob and how do you program it?

Yeah pretty sure its trash so where to get cheapest best replacement and reprogram it the battery clamp down was undone on both solder ends and the main tab. I attempted super glue over the top but i doubt its repairable.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G6 GXP, 3.6L V6 sedan
80 Posts
Unfortunately you need a snap on scanner or an advanced scanner to plug into the obd port of the car. I had the same problem. Bought two new ones. Luckily I had a friend who had a scanner and I was able to erase all key fobs and program the two new ones. Took me 5 minutes. Hope this helps

·
Registered
80 Posts
You don’t need a lock smith. You can purchase the key fob from anywhere. You just need an advanced car scanner to program the new key fobs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does your car have remote start? If it does this key fob will not work. Either way you need the advanced scanner. Car only learns 4 remotes. You have to erase the other broken remotes and learn the new ones with the scanner.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No its a 2007 g6 base model 3.5 4 door. It has the regular key fob from up above but the battery went dead. I glued the prongs somewhat in place as the battery metal tang was broken from the solder on both sides and top sides hanging in there loosely. No way to get a stock replacement key fob and program it with the UNLOCK button down 3 on/off key cycles and hold the lock/unlock simultaneously

In another thread someone used this said it worked not sure what year it was the 25$ amazon key fob with obd2 plug in tool for "fob learning" vs using a tech 2 tool or other advanced scanner if it says product will work on 2007 g6 could purchase it if it doesnt could maybe return it to amazon not as advertised.

Amazon.com: Dorman 13732 Keyless Entry Remote 4 Button Compatible with Select Models (OE FIX) : Automotive

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
If the replacement comes with an obd port plug in to relearn then try it. If not you can return it. Good luck.
Yes if it says on amazon it will work with vehicle then its worth the purchase then return it if it doesnt work as advertised.

Are you saying to contact a key fob seller or locksmith on say facebook marketplace and see what they charge? The 97-04 corvette is easy you can thru it thru the instrument cluster its 85$ for the original 97-00 ac delco gm one can only be used those years 315mhz tire sensors. The 01-04 corvette uses a 35$ ac delco key fob or other aftermarket key fobs and 433mhz tire sensors which can all be programmed thru the instrument cluster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts