Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· 2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my key fob doesn't really work... The only buttons that work are the trunk release and "occasionally" my unlock.

Winter is approaching and i want to get this fixed so i can use my remote start.
I've tried replacing the battery and cleaning off the terminals and nothing helps.

I'm assuming i have to take it to the dealer to get reprogrammed.
Or if i buy a new one it will still need to be programmed.

But i'm wondering if i will have to put my stock stereo back in since it contains access to the DIC..?
Or will they be able to do it without it in there?

Any answers to any of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

· '06 G6 Convertible
40 Posts
Just talked to the local dealer yesterday about a spare for my newly acquired '06 G6. The local dealer told me it was $130.00 for the Remote and another $47.50 to program up to 2 Remotes.
I would make sure that the Battery and Contacts are in good condition before I parted with my hard earned cash!

· 08 Black GT Vert
33 Posts
I had the same problem with my G5 fob. I took it to the parts dept. and the guy says try this first> then he Rips off a piece of cardboard and placed it inside the fob which now presses the battery flush against the buttons. Worked like a charm.
My G6 FOB just started doing the same thing even after I replaced the battery.
I remembered the cardboard trick and its working perfect now.

Take it for what its worth but it doesnt cost anything and it may work.

· Registered
237 Posts
Reactions: waterfowler76

· Registered
15 Posts
It's the battery hold down bracket inside the fob, the the two outer hold downs come loose from the board. Heat them up with a soldering iron, push the bracket down, then apply a bit more solder. Worked like a charm.

· Registered
2,389 Posts
This is your fix right here, trust me...

http://www.keylessfix.com
Datacat is right. Just replace the button pad for 10 bucks & shipping. Very common issue with GM fobs. There is another, separate problem these things have with the battery contact arms losing good contact with the circuit board. Two different symptoms for two different problems. If one or two buttons stop working you have the first. If the fob starts to have a short range or is totally non-functional at times, it's the second. Solution for the second is carefully re-soldering the arms to the board as Copgtp wrote.

· Registered
1 Posts
Datacat is right. Just replace the button pad for 10 bucks & shipping. Very common issue with GM fobs. There is another, separate problem these things have with the battery contact arms losing good contact with the circuit board. Two different symptoms for two different problems. If one or two buttons stop working you have the first. If the fob starts to have a short range or is totally non-functional at times, it's the second. Solution for the second is carefully re-soldering the arms to the board as Copgtp wrote.
agree! that site is kinda good. i have the same problem before and i found that site too and follow whats on that site. and i agree its kinda cheap its on for $9.99

really saves me alot

james

"key fob cover is best suit to key fob"

· Registered
2,389 Posts
I see you can find the button pads on ebay for even less.

· Registered
6 Posts
lost my key fob , somehow came off keychain
2007 G6
where can I get a replacement , without a fob I can’t get into my trunk ( hard top convertible )
then , seeing as it’ll be new it’ll need to be programmed, right

Thanks for any info

· Registered
359 Posts
Why can't you get into the trunk without the fob? There's a trunk release button on the driver's door. If the button doesn't work, it might be easier to fix and less expensive than buying and programming another. Replacement fobs are available from several eBay vendors and yes, it'll need to be programmed.

· Registered
6 Posts
Why can't you get into the trunk without the fob? There's a trunk release button on the driver's door. If the button doesn't work, it might be easier to fix and less expensive than buying and programming another. Replacement fobs are available from several eBay vendors and yes, it'll need to be programmed.
trunk release button on drivers side door. - - where exactly , I searched , even looked in owners manual , nothing about it
thanks for info

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.