Pontiac G6 Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you look on your radio screen, and click the button "info" and flip through the options, it will either say "remote start: on" or "off". If this isn't an option, then most likely your G6 didn't come equipped with it.

Mine came equipped but my remote start doesn't work. I heard the factory starters suck anyway. They usually go out quickly and don't have a very long range, you basically have to be standing right next to the car to get it to work. :/

Hopefully this helps.​

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can confirm the terrible range.

If I am in an open parking lot I can maybe get ~60 feet...A friend with an aftermarket starter kit, easily got >150ft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but I have keyless that works great and I recently called the dealer to run my vin to see if I had remote start and low and behold they told me my car doesn't have keyless or remote start! But I clearly have 100% factory original keyless and my fobs have the + on the back..... So now explain that!

·
Registered
26 Posts
My GTP has a manual transmission and I have to put the shifter into Reverse in order to get the key out. Unless I did some did some hard core rewiring, I will not be able to get remote start on it.

Not sure if this is labeled on your switch or not. Just thought I would throw my .02 cents around.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread but I have keyless that works great and I recently called the dealer to run my vin to see if I had remote start and low and behold they told me my car doesn't have keyless or remote start! But I clearly have 100% factory original keyless and my fobs have the + on the back..... So now explain that!
I believe that functionality can be added into the BCM. Maybe that's how you got it? Do you still have the window sticker that came with the car. It'll say it in there as an option I believe. There's also a site where u can enter your vin and get a free printout. Its not a carfax, but it lists your options and rpo codes. I think its www.compnine.com

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
My GTP has a manual transmission and I have to put the shifter into Reverse in order to get the key out. Unless I did some did some hard core rewiring, I will not be able to get remote start on it.

Not sure if this is labeled on your switch or not. Just thought I would throw my .02 cents around.
Sure you can have a remote start. Just gotta bypass the clutch switch and make sure its in neutral with the e-brake up. Unless you can't pop it into neutral without the key, which could probably be solved with another bypass.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, all that wiring is beyond my expertise. Lol. And it would cost too much to have that professionally done. I will just be content with a cold car for the first 5 minutes going to work.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
G6 GXP
50 Posts
I can confirm the terrible range.

If I am in an open parking lot I can maybe get ~60 feet...A friend with an aftermarket starter kit, easily got >150ft.
My factory remote start works from over 300 feet away, through building glass and other cars, from the third floor of my building. I use it every day about five minutes before I leave work. I park my car about 250-350 feet (depending on what spot I find) away from the BASE of my building, and then from the third floor, behind glass on the inside, I can start my car easily. :D No aftermarket system on my car - it's all stock from the factory. Maybe the GXP model has more range, but I doubt it.

Of course, I also bought new batteries for my keyfob after I re-soldered the battery holder back in place on the internal circuit board (using directions I found on this site, no less). :cool:

Oh, and it also worked through the driving, 2"/hr snowfall we had yesterday afternoon in Chicagoland - and that parking spot was one of the further ones I've gotten recently (though not quite the furthest).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remote Start Fix

I was looking around on here because my girlfriends 2006 G6 GT remotes would not unlock her car. Read all kinds of B.S. and figured out that the K.I.S.S. principle was in order. Before buying anything look around your house. Find your aluminum foil and crazy glue. Cut a piece of foil the size of the button on the backside of your rubber cover. Cut out a tiny piece of foil the size of the button and glue it on there. She now has two working remotes and didn't spend a dime. Hope this helps someone because i had to sign up just to post this. You wanna work on something that's a real pain and complicated try a Jaguar. LOL what a pain in the backside.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts