Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Keyless remote door lock and unlock intermittent

11K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SwinginG6 
#1 ·
2005 G6 GT

I have to 'play' with the remote to unlock and lock the doors.

Troubleshooting:

Same problem with 2 remotes (I have 2)
Remote always opens the trunk no problem.
Remote 'delayed' locking door works fine. (press remote "lock" with door open & door locks 5 sec after closing door)
Moving automatic shift lever in and out of PARK locks and unlocks doors no problem.

#2 ·
Boilerplate answer:

GM key fobs have two distinct problems:

1. the battery contact arm loses good contact with the circuit board
Symptoms: the fob has a short range and/or is intermittently completely non-functional
Solution: carefully add solder to the battery contact arm connection points on the circuit board

2. a button pad electrical contact has failed
Symptoms: one or maybe two buttons quit working or work poorly
Solution: replace the button pad for about $10
Here is one source: http://www.keylessfix.com

I've seen them for 5 bucks on ebay.

#5 ·
This is a common problem with GM remotes. It's so widespread that someone decided to cash in on it by making a simple solution. Google for keylessfix (which is $10 shipped) and it will make it work like new. I made a review for it if you wish to go find it.

It's definitely cheaper than paying around $120 for a new FOB (including programming and such).

I had one of my FOBs experience both of the symptoms that greenman described while the other experienced just the "lock/unlock sometimes works".

#8 ·
I took mine in to the dealer for this problem, and the service manager popped the fob open and immediately found the problem Greenman and Abyssul describe above. Fortunately mine was covered, as it was a GM Certified vehicle. New fob fixed it, but if no warranty, the replacement parts route sounds like how I would have gone. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.