Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you can shed any light on this I would be grateful. My daughter has an '05 V6. We ordered a new OEM transmitter with remote start which is the correct one for her car. Everything worked well for a couple of months and then one day the alarm would start going off for no reason. We would use the transmitter to deactivate the alarm but within seconds it would go off again. What is interesting is this would happen whether the car was locked or unlocked it didn't matter.

Took it to the dealer who spent 2 hours trying to figure out what was going on. They checked the sensors in the doors, hood and trunk and all were okay. They checked the locks and even reset a control module, replaced the fuse for the alarm and cleared and reprogrammed the transmitter and once again the alarm would randomly go off. When they finally tried replacing the battery in the transmitter only then did they make some progress and this is what is so strange. When they removed the battery to replace it, they noticed that in that short time the alarm did not go off but as soon as they put a new battery in it started going off again.

So when there is a good battery in the transmitter the alarm goes off, when you remove the battery the alarm does not go off. Does anyone have a clue what is going on? It's almost like the transmitter is sending a false signal to the car even when we are not touching it. Now most would say just replace the remote, but it has already cost me the remote plus all the troubleshooting and I will have to buy a new remote and have it programmed again and maybe, just maybe it might still do the same thing. What is also unusual is, sometimes it will trigger the alarm right away and at other times it can take hours but sooner or later it will set off the alarm.

Personally I would like to deactivate the alarm permanantly as this would be the easiest solution as the transmitter works fine (sort of). I guess I could pull the fuse but i don't want to stop the horn from functioning. If anyone knows an easy way to disable the alarm but leave the horn functioning, I would settle for that as the transmitter does work to lock and unlock the doors which is all she really likes/needs it for.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

·
2008 Sedan 3.5L V6
222 Posts
something like that happened to me, the alarm button was jammed in on my remote. whenever my remote was in range my alarm would start going off, i just took out the battery and dont use the remote anymore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've owned my G6 for just over a week, and have been searching to no avail this entire time for accurate instructions on programming transmitters. My remote only works for the panic button, the other 3 are useless. I work at a salvage yard, so I have plenty of access to transmitters to try, and I would like to. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Anything I've found either hasn't worked, or was so far-fetched that I know it was fake. This noob appreciates anything you have to offer!

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
When they finally tried replacing the battery in the transmitter only then did they make some progress and this is what is so strange. When they removed the battery to replace it, they noticed that in that short time the alarm did not go off but as soon as they put a new battery in it started going off again.
Almost certainly the horn button on the keyfob is stuck. This could be any of the following:

- Button is stuck in the pressed position.
- Some of the conductive carbon from the inside part of the button is shorting out the tiny contact fingers in the fob.
- There's some moisture trapped below the button that is bridging the contact fingers
- There's some solder or bits of wire or other metal shorting out the pins on the Integrated Circuit (IC) that controls the transmitter.
- The IC is defective.

Talk to the party from whom you bought the keyfob about replacing it. Tell them to give you two for your trouble since you had to pay so much to find their mistake.

~ MattInSoCal

·
Professional geek
433 Posts
I've owned my G6 for just over a week, and have been searching to no avail this entire time for accurate instructions on programming transmitters.
It can only be done using the Tech II programmer, which very few people outside of dealers have. The 'turn the key and push the lock button' instructions are not correct, and there is no other shortcut or 'back door' method.

~ MattInSoCal

·
Registered
1 Posts
check that all your door locks are working propperly, had the same issue b/c my passenger door wasn't locking set off the alarm every time had to go into the stereo and turn off security setting untill i got a new door actuaitor

·
G6 owner
27 Posts
have a viper smart start installed on your car and if you have an iphone, use it for all your remote needs... ive seen it in action and it is pretty sweet.. def gonna get one installed on my g6..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.