Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to install new strut assemblies this afternoon and when I compared the original struts to the new KYB struts, I noticed the strut mounts are installed at different angles. Pictures below of the passenger side struts side by side. The new KYB struts, with the three upper bolts installed, angles towards the engine and would require pulling the strut outward to bolt to the steering knuckle.

I'm used to truck suspension and this is my first time dealing with struts. Hoping someone more familiar with these struts knows if this is normal or these were assembled incorrectly. Just seems wrong to me unless the mount rocks on some sort of bushing and will align to the right angle after installation.

Automotive tire Crankset Rim Auto part Shock absorber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Coil spring

·
Registered
47 Posts
You should be able to rotate the top mount on the new strut assembly so it resembles the old one and the bolts line up. They've got it oriented wrong from factory. You may need a pry bar to help and something to hold the strut.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll have to rotate them in the vice and pay more attention to how it changes the angle. Originally, I stuck the top in and turned the bottom 180 deg to try and correct the angle but don't recall the outcome. I may have just been second guessing things too much at that point to continue.

KYB responded to my email inquiry and just said they were "assembled correctly and ready to be installed as is".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The angle doesn't appear to change when rotated in the vice. I'll install them a couple weekends from now and see how they look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts