Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after reading about Chris's (of WAMS tune) upcoming Dashboss software, I began delving into the world of OBD-II software options. My best bet would be a laptop based software since it would be overall cheaper and more flexible although not as portable which is fine by me. I bought a cheap ELM327 USB module off eBay for $20 bucks and then got ahold of some OBD-II software. There are a few freeware based scanners and loggers on the internet, but I wanted a little more so I got ProScan.

If anyone is interested in tinkering with their car, this is a wonderful way to explore your car's computer. You will not be able to modify/tune any settings in the ECM if you have the LX9 engine. If you have the other types, you can purchase the EFIlive program to modify settings. I was fine with just simple logging/scanning sensors so I stuck with ProScan.

Now I can:
- Monitor sensors
- Read/clear CEL codes
- Drag Strip functionality
- Dyno Tool
- Fuel Analysis

Few things I found out after a day of use:
- Intake temperature is 118F
- I get 29 MPG
- I can also use the MAF sensor logs to find out how much air my piping is forcing through. This could be use in combination with the AIT to compare piping benefits.

I thought I would like to share my experience with other members and see if they were interested or had questions.

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
i get 26 mpg at best driving like a total slow douche / grandma all in one.

anywho....can u tune it to be faster ?D

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anywho....can u tune it to be faster ?D
No. I have the LX9. Also, I have a WAMS tune and it doesn't get much better than that.

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
The only thing is with those scanners is you miss out on all the PID's/functions that you would actually really want to use IE GM Enhanced PID's, Bidirectional controls including case learn/fan controls etc. There is a reason we sold so many Dashhawks and that was it, the enhanced stuff no one else really did that set it apart :) Be very careful when buying a scan tool of any kind as 99.99% of them out there dont support this type of stuff and you miss out on TONS of data/functions by only having the SAE PID's.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand what you are saying Chris. The ScanXL tool has a GM enhanced package (I have ScanXL), but I really don't need any bidirectional controls especially since my PCM is tuned already. I just like the logging and scanning ability of the basic PIDs. A very accurate 0-60 and 1/4th mile time tests are nice too.

Chris, do you recommend any programs that have bidirectional control for the 2006 PCM? Just curious.

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
The basic Dashboss has the full package of GM,Chrysler and Ford enhanced PID's and controls for GM vehicles :)

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The basic Dashboss has the full package of GM,Chrysler and Ford enhanced PID's and controls for GM vehicles :)
I meant for laptop use. My circle of friends and family don't use Apple products.

·
Breaks Stuff
224 Posts
Laptop wise pretty much nothing that would be reasonable in price for enthusiasts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts