Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a friend who needs help. She says leaking fuel from top of tank, even when car is off. She says leak is worse when car is at idle at stop light than when driving. Was thinking fuel line on fuel pump, but don't know why it would leak with car not running. I heard leaking fuel was not a rare issue with this car, 09 G6 with approximately 95k. Do you think she is just wrong about leaking when car is off? Any advice will be welcome or sugestions on what to look specifally look for. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I haven't experienced this, but I've read about it. Apparently there is a little curved plastic piece on top of the gas tank, Not sure if it's just a breather or if it's actually part of the fuel line but that seems to crack causing vapors to leak out and in some cases gasoline to leak out as well...

Check out this thread:
http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8241

There's a post in there that gives a pretty good idea of what seems to be going on.
Hope it helps!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
This is an all too common problem.
The outlet pipe of the fuel pump cracks. Requires replacing the pump. It leaks at engine off because the fuel lines remain pressurized. It's a dangerous situation so don't wait to get it repaired.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Have a friend who needs help. She says leaking fuel from top of tank, even when car is off. She says leak is worse when car is at idle at stop light than when driving. Was thinking fuel line on fuel pump, but don't know why it would leak with car not running. I heard leaking fuel was not a rare issue with this car, 09 G6 with approximately 95k. Do you think she is just wrong about leaking when car is off? Any advice will be welcome or sugestions on what to look specifally look for. Thanks in advance.
Fuel pump is covered on the 5 yr 100K warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts