Pontiac G6 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I found info on it in 3 places in the service manuals. The steering wheel controls (w/o UK3) on the left is a 4 way F Molex harness. The right is a 5 way.
When you look at the harness that is a UK3 then the left is a 6 way and the right is a 7 way. Those extra wires are the sttering wheels control signal and the remote radio signal. This is listed both under the cruise control (pages 11-78) and under Entertainment (page 11-119). Under the same area there is a paragraph that discusses how it works. Basically it assigns different resister values to commands on the radios end.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
I guess UK3 is the leather steering wheel.
No where in the service manuals does it mention it specifically.

Sooooooo you need a 4 left and a 5 right molex harness to operate my steering wheel which means that you cant swap them out without updating your harness to the 6 left and 7 right M0lex Harness to the radio.

:(
The weird thing is that it only shows one type of connector at the radio and that one is or the 6 & 7.

Maybe the end of the connector harness has both heads on left and rigt depending on your wheel.

I called the dealership and they are looking into it. Maybe there is a cheap fix?
Yaaa...i doubt it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Keep in mind that you are really dealing with more than one harness here. The harness in steering wheel is just that, in the steering wheel. It plugs to one side of the "coil assembly". This is where most of the wires associated with radio controls reside in this small jumper harness. All of the pictures you posted were of the connectors in this steering wheel harness that plug into the switches.

In order to get to the radio you have 2 wires in the "instrument panel harness". These 2 wires run from radio to the other side of "coil assembly". The coil assembly is method that circuits get up to the rotating steering wheel. Those wires just go into existing connector at coil assembly and radio.

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yaaaa thats why I didnt want the 06 trispoke wheel. That airbag is a house payment!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Leather Wrapped Wheel Solution

lrish said:
I bought a leather kit that I had to sew onto the wheel of my first car. I picked it up at pepboys, and it was amazing, just like a factory made wheel. I went to pepboys again to get it for my g6 but they dont sell it anymore. i have no clue the name of the company that sold it either.
To elaborte on myself, I found a link to the steering wheel cover I had before which was excellent.

I emailed AAPD about their wheel covers which appear to be the same as wheelskins.

I measured the steering wheel and submitted the dimensions to whellskins who classifies our wheel as a size C if anyone wants to order from them. I just did and they are sending me a second lacing kit for free becuase I want the "baseball stitch" like what was shown at the beginning of this thread. Step by step directions are here.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Fellow San Antonian...

I have a 2005 G6-GT that has the leather package. I believe my steering wheel that you are referencing came along with the leather package. On the window sticker (on the right) under options & pricing it is listed within the leather package.

I completely understand why you'd want to upgrade - it's a wonderful device to have.

Check with the dealer, you may be able to have it installed depending on your vehicle :confused:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.