Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Storm Trooper
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I had a few lights burn out (fog light button and part of the HVAC) so I decided that I was going to swap out the burnt out RED for the BLUE!!!

Here are some progress shots.

First Stop : Dimmer and Fog Lights

Second Stop : HVAC

Next i am on to the DOOR CARDS!!! um how do i get the window switches out? Any Help?

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,353 Posts
push in on the side of the top of the column and lift up.
From there its connected at the vinyl to the cluster surround.

Take the two (I think they are torx) screws out from the underside of
the clusters hood and it pulls right out.

Then you can access the cluster itself. It is held in by 4 small bolts.
one in each corner. Be careful you dont drop them into the dash when removing those.

once out the cluster will come forward enough to access the wiring connectors on the back side. Remove them and its in your hands.

The cluster comes apart real easy and once you see it, it will be very easy to take apart.

If you remove the needles DO NOT TWIST THEM. If you do you will break the mechanism. You can pop them off via a pry tool. A regular kitchen fork works fine.
Pop them straight up.

You can then change out the overlay or needles etc....

once its apart you can also soldier in whatever LED you want.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,353 Posts
I go from the bottom up on the removal. That may be it....take the column top up first.
You can use the vinly to help pull the hood out (once torx are removed).

Clear as mud, right?

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I wish I had taken pictures, but the bottom of the cluster trim is held in by very tight clips. I thought I was missing screws, but sure enough if you pull hard enough they come loose. It's possible you might break them, but its the only way.

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
looks good...but i have a feeling it looks goofy with the rest of it lit up...just the hvac is blue...? what radio do u have? stock?..red?.. -\

·
Storm Trooper
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have the Pioneer AVIC-D3 with the ability to turn the screen graphics or buttons any color i want. I also do custom backgrounds so the whole center of the car is blue right now and i am working on my gauges as we speak...

when i get some more know how i am going to pull the window switches, unlock buttons and trunk button in blue.

Currently i have my cluster pulled apart and i am working on soldering new lights on. i am doing white and blue lights on it and will have it posted later tonight!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Very cool! Can't wait to see how it looks!

·
MonsterG6
386 Posts
fUUKKKCC ive wanted to do this to my car since i saw a picture of it on the internet. i need to make friends with someone around where i live who can do that. id keep my car till it died.

·
MonsterG6
386 Posts
man thats crazy in there you got like 3 or 4 different colors going on nice!

·
Registered
441 Posts
that came out looking great!

·
Storm Trooper
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well i noticed that my odometer is not lighting up so i have one of the lights backwards, they are wired in series so one has thrown them all off. Other than that they are great. I still can see the mileage but it is not backlit.

As for overheating the board, no troubles. I saw it start to sweat in one spot and i backed off and let it cool out. I will fix it o a few days.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts